GUN as a first time gun owner, what stuff do I need to buy for the shooting range

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Sep 26, 2006.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

I joined my local shooting range. Basically its several 25-300 yard fields with dirtwork on all sides of each range and they have a lounge with bathrooms and tables. They provide a few targets (some rails at 50-100 yards to put bottles on) and a gong at 100 yards. they want you to build your own target stands out of wood/pvc/etc and provide your on targets really. But I could still go there and shoot the gong and water bottles.

So my question is, because i'm a total gun noob, what sort of stuff will I need to shoot bottles, other then the water bottles obviously? I have an M1 Garand that will be here tomorrow (bought used for $600, was a service grade from CMP in 2001, guy said it shoots fine). So what do I need? Obviously I'll need to go to walmart and buy some .30-06 150 grain full metal jacket cartridges, a cleaning kit, gun oil, and hearing protection. anything else?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

glasses

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yeah if you dont wear glasses, get some shooting glasses..

also, if you want to shoot it off a rest, maybe a pillow or something to set the gun on. Just depends what you want to do.

Have fun :wavey:

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

check your range rules on ammo, some around here dont allow FMJ outdoors

5. t1h

t1h Guest

already did, my range has no problem with it

6. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

get yourself a set of low-profile hearing protection like those radian earbuds that are held in place by the plastic band....i dunno where you live, but i live in florida where its hot as hell outdoors, and wearing big bulky earmuffs really make you sweat and get in the way of a good cheekweld on a rifle...
    also buy tons of ammo cuz youll never seem to have enough when youre there...im trying to make it a point to have a case of ammo for each caliber i own :naughty:

oh yea....one last thing....mainly for the rest of us....dont dress up like youre going on patrol with delta in somalia....youll thank us later

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I think everything has been covered pretty well.

Let us know when you get another gun.

I just bought an AK for playing around at the range with, I have a Remington 760 in 30-06 and it is expensive to fire, I like to put 80-100 rounds down range when I got out and the cheapest ammo that I can find is 14 dollars for 20 round (winchester 150 grain.) or at least that I am willing to use in such a nice gun that has such emotional value to me (I found some korean stuff at a gun show for 18 bucks for 50, but you get what you pay for) the gun belonged to my grandfather so I am not taking any chances with it.

Oh and just a warning, the 30-06 will kick a good bit, many times when I go to the range with people my gun is often the one that kicks the most (its does have an aluminum butt plate so there is no cushion either.) So one you might want to look into a rubber padded but plate and two you will want to hold the gun tight to your shoulder, some guns will let you get away with being loose, a 30-06 generally isn't one of them after a day at the range with mine I usually have a bruise developing.

Other than that have fun.

Oh and alot of the time I am at the range I like to double up on hearing protection, both plugs and muffs. I can still hear people decently well, but it sure helps cut down on the ringing that you get from the constant firing.

8. s0ber

s0ber New Member

:rofl:

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:rofl: yeah don't do that :ugh:

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

don't know how long you'll be out there, but bring something to eat if it's in the sticks and you'll be out there a long time....

also try to save up money for a .22, so you can bring that to the range and shoot between sessions of your centerfire rifle. it's cheap and something to do while letting the barrell cool.

11. t1h

t1h Guest

yeah i know i need to get a ruger 10/22 for cheap ammo. i just got back from bass pro shops and I bought 2 packages of remmington 150grain 30-06 FMJ (20 cartridges per package) for 11.49 plus tax each, just so I could test my gun this wekeend, make sure its ok and shoot some plastic jugs with it. I'm going to get some CMP ammo, its $117 for 480 rounds of m2 ball 30-06 IIRC.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I was going to say that CMP is the way to go for 30-06, especially since some of it is already enblock

13. t1h

t1h Guest

yeah I know all about CMP. the garand i'm getting is coming in UPS tomorrow (tracking it on ups.com). Its a service grade built march 44, all SA parts except an HRA rear sight. I bought it privately for $600 and its already cleaned up and the guy used to shoot it (until he bought some more m1 garands), bought as a service grade m1 garand from CMP in 2001, dude is also sending me the CMP certificate. good thing I am getting it since CMP just ran out of service grade garands.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

A 22 will most likely be my next purchase, but I do not see that happening until christmas time.

I however do not know about CMP got a link and how good is the ammo, basically I don't want something that is going to be corrosive to the gun.

15. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Build a cheap target stand out of 2x4's or PVC pipe and get a roll of butchers paper.

16. t1h

t1h Guest

http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm

17. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Ear plugs for sure

18. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

since you are talking about ranges, what would you think about a range that allowed all types of guns(full auto, .50, etc) and had cars to shoot about 50-75 yards out?

19. Basic

Basic OT Supporter

:rofl: :bowdown:

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'd think I found hillbilly heaven

21. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

so would you go to a range like this or not? and fyi, im probably the exact opposite of a hillbilly... i like to shoot my gun, and im looking to open a range that lets people have good SAFE fun.

22. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'd go to the range. I don't think the target you're aiming at is going to make too much of a difference in people's range behavior. If you're too worried about it just go check it out before you shoot.

23. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I usually bring a cleaning kit just in case something would happen along with remoil. Also some grease pots and q tips, depending if I brought my garand or not.
    Targets, vinyl tape, posts, cardboard and a staple gun.
    Cooler cuz I shoot outside.
    Atleast couple hundred rounds per gun
    Binoculars so I dont have to walk 50+ yards down the range every time to check where Im hitting the target
    foam earplugs
    And I wear glasses so no safety glasses

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I shoot indoors mostly because I've yet to find any outdoor ranges that are close enough for me to use frequently enough to be worth the money. I really don't bring anything buts guns and ammo. If I were shooting outdoors I'd probably have a first aid kit in the car and maybe a soda for after. Remember shooting contaminates you, your clothes, and the things around you with lead. Wash your hands thoroughly with cold water before eating and don't have food or drink on the firing line. I'm not thinking to plug a bullet hole but just something to clean the wound and close it up if you get bit by a slide or burn yourself on a hot barrel.

I recommend ear plugs combined with ear muffs (look for NRR ratings around 30db or greater) and eye protection of course.

A towel to wripe the sweat is a good idea too. I went to the range last week and I think they had the A/C off. I was fairly moist after an hour and nothings more annoying than sweat in your eyes.

25. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

im looking for land to open a range. all the ranges around me suck ass. 25 yards max = :greddy: