As a Canadian electrian, how hard would it be to do electrical work in Japan?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Spiritus, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Canada 120 V 60 Hz

Japan 100 V 50 Hz / 60 Hz**

** Although the mains voltage in Japan is the same everywhere, the frequency differs from region to region. Eastern Japan uses predominantly 50 Hz (Tokyo, Kawasaki, Sapporo, Yokohoma, Sendai), whereas Western Japan prefers 60 Hz (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima).

I am intruiged by Japanese culture and would like to live there some day. However, I am a mere student at this point and am not fit to wire a Canadian house at this point.

So the question comes to mind is... how much additional training will be required in order to learn how to deal with the lower voltage? And, if I decide to work in Tokyo, I suppose I would need even more training to deal with the lower Hz?

Additional questions that I do not expect awnsered... would it be difficult to get a "green card" to work in Japan? Would the pay be better, since the cost of living is huge? How is the demand in Japan for tradesmen?

Thank you for any awnsers.
  2. mauk

mauk Active Member OT Supporter

Mar 22, 2006
    what difference would it make other than codes and equipment?
  3. Aussie

Aussie New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I used to be a certified electrican (after 4 years apprenticeship training) dealing with 240v single phase all the way up to 480v 3 phase. One older middle aged electrican, an immigrant from USA had to through 'Australian Standards' training. Relatively short about 2 months I think. Has passed all manadatory exams and got his qualified contractor's licence.

I think this applies to Japan if you want to work there. Hey, how good you write, speak and talk japanese?