article: Why prolactin can ruin your day

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by macro, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macro

macro New Member

2. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

In your last paragraph, "Overheating during exercise
    will cause a Prolactin surge which can lead to greater consumption of calories following exercise." Are you saying prolactin increase is directly correlated with increased appetite? Or is it just that your body is depleted after a workout and it needs food?

3. macro

macro New Member

increased prolactin is directly correlated with increased food intake (dont know if there has been subjective analysis on appetite- though would venture to guess its increased) without exercise.

there are no direct studies on prolactin level and food intake post workout, though related research points to elevated food intake from heat stress (once its removed- heat stress itself tends to lower food intake unless there is acclimatization)

4. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

“Why Prolactin Can Ruin Your Day”
    Most people have never heard of the peptide hormone, Prolactin. The name seems innocent enough, but this little neuroendocrine peptide can give you a whole of host of problems that you never thought possible. Prolactin’s primary job in the body is to aid in breast development, and, after pregnancy, Prolactin produces breast milk. Now if you are a man reading this article, you may be asking yourself, “Why would I have Prolactin problems?” Well, unfortunately, men and women are basically the same human template, and Prolactin production is part of life for both genders. Basically, 3 hormones play roles in both male and female bodies: Testosterone, Progesterone and Estrogen. It’s the varying amounts of these hormones, as well as the ratio they are produced in that really affects a great deal of the physiological and endrocrinological (hormonal) differences between men and women.
    So what effect does Prolactin, the peptide hormone, have on these three primary hormones in the human body?
    Prolactin production is adjusted in the body by all three of these hormones, however, Estrogen is the primary mastermind behind Prolactin production. Prolactin is basically a female hormone, but it does serve a purpose in
    men, though its purpose may not be considered beneficial by most men. For example, primary surges in Prolactin occurs after orgasm in males to let the male body know its “done”. In fact, the surge in Prolactin insures this feeling by immediately reducing sexual desire as well as erectile response. Basically, Prolactin acts as an “off” switch -- not exactly a beneficial function in most men’s minds, though surely there are women that are quite thankful for this biological hiatus. That being said, high Prolactin levels are a common cause of
    impotence and loss of sexual desire in both men and women.
    Sex is just one area where Prolactin may have negative effects on the body and mind. In addition to this, Prolactin also demands increases in food intake -- this is why the urge to raid the fridge after coitus is not uncommon. Studies in animals indicate that high Prolactin can increase food intake by as much as 20%. Studies with Prolactin suppressors in humans have shown significant decreases in food intake and fat loss, even where Prolactin levels are not considered to be “elevated”.
    For men, Prolactin presents an additional issue. It can cause and aggravate gynecomastia, which is the clinical term for female breast development in men. Prolactin’s effects on gynecomastia are worse when there is existing breast tissue from puberty and/or when there is high level of Estrogen present already. Also, as mentioned before, when high levels of Estrogen are present in this case, production of Prolactin in the body is further encouraged, thus compounding problems at hand and making the ordeal cyclic.
    Prolactin surges and spikes can be dealt with through several mechanisms.
    The first way to deal with Prolactin surges and spikes is to reduce your body’s level of Estrogen. In women, this generally means losing body fat, since the more body fat a woman has, the more Estrogen her body produces.
    In men, loss of body fat and/or the use of an aromatase inhibitor, like Aromatase Inhibitor for Men (AIFM), can reduce the level Estrogen in the male body, thus suppressing the effects of Prolactin as well. However, though
    aromatase inhibitors will do wonders for men, its use in women is not recommended at this time.
    Some SERMs (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators) and Phytoestrogens (natural SERMs) may also be of benefit for women and to a lesser extent men, however, the downside to using SERMs is the Estrogenic components may cause other issues, like increasing adipose (fat) tissue storage. The SERMS can do this by upregulating the A2 adrenoceptor (Estrogenic fat). Overall, a SERM may help reduce your prolactin levels through its anti-estorogenic actions, but it may also cause unfavorable stubborn fat storage because of its estrogenic actions.
    The second way to deal with Prolactin surges and spikes is to increase Dopamine or dopaminergic activity. An increase in Dopamine would help Polactin spikes because it stops Prolactin’s effects by inhibiting its release of
    Prolactin into the body at all. Dopamine levels in the body can be increased by using supplements, like Neurogenex, and with European nootropics, like Selegiline and Hydergine. You can also use Dopamine agonists, like velvet bean (l-dopa), some extracts of tribulus and vitex, as well as drugs like nicotine, cabaser or bromocriptine (however, please don’t smoke, if you want to use nicotine as a Dopamine agonist – chew nicotine gum or lozenges).
    So which option is best for you? Of all these options, Cabaser has the highest dopaminergic potency and is strongest at Prolactin suppression, followed by Bromocriptine. Selegiline, Hydergine and nicotine are all moderately strong inhibitors of Prolactin, though nicotine’s mechanism toward Prolactin inhibition and Dopamine production is different from the others. Amongst the herbal options, Vitex is the most potent suppressor, at least in women. Vitex’s effect in men is not as well established. Neurogenex suppresses Prolactin via the
    nicotinic and acetylcholine pathways. These pathways then affect Dopamine transmission, and the potency of the Dopamine transmission here ultimately depends on the individual. Neurogenex, when combined with supplements or Dopamine-increasing drugs, like selegiline, is a fairly potent suppressor of Prolactin. Dosing of these compounds can vary from person to person based on individual needs, so please visit www.afboard.com/forum to get more information about how to dose correctly or ask questions to meet your
    specific needs.
    The third way to deal with Prolactin surges and spikes is to avoid overheating. High body temperatures, especially hot-headedness, increase Prolactin release. Men with puffy nipples may be aware of this since heat
    worsens puffiness; this is the direct result of increased Prolactin release. So, when exercising, make sure to keep your head cool, and drinking COLD water can help as well. Studies indicate that even if the body’s core temperature does increase, so long as the individual’s head is cool the prolactin surge is significantly blunted.
    The heat-induced Prolactin surge is also significant when it comes to food intake. Overheating during exercise will cause a Prolactin surge which can lead to greater consumption of calories following exercise. This echoes the
    body responses described earlier, including the increased adipose (fat) storage that could be induced as well.
    We hope you have come away with a basic understanding and summary of the ills of Prolactin as well as some of ways in which you can avoid or decrease Prolactin levels. Future articles will delve into the individual topics regarding Prolactin’s effects on sexual desire, adiposity and gynecomastia, as well as other elements and effects of Prolactin-reducing regimens.

5. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Good info.

6. macro

macro New Member

btw- comments and questions appreciated :)

7. macro

macro New Member

8. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

What type of aromatase inhibitor would you reccomend?

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

you don't have any more fat to lose

10. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

AIFM :big grin:

I believe Pur, Maine, GTLifter and a few other have used it and seen success.

11. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Arimidex

12. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

and who in particular (inside F&N) does this article apply to?

13. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

all the people who m1t made lactate?

14. macro

macro New Member

most people with gyno, which includes puffy nipples and pectoral feminization as well as pubertal gynecomastia. Prolactin plays a role all these (the extent varies, but its usually a factor)

Though prolactin affects everyone, high levels are generally not beneficial. Some of the side effects of high prolactin are Erectile dysfunction, some types of depression, weight gain (affects on food intake- note prolactin may actually promote lipolysis in some models- these individuals typically suffer from hypoglycemia and hypolipidemia), etc.

progestins are highly linked to prolactin issues, which often persist well beyond use without intervention (this includes many prohormones/prosteroids/designer steroids/steroids, including M1T, superdrol, trenbolone, nandrolone)

15. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Is there any relationship between prolactin and insulin, or insulin sensitivity? Anytime i eat a carb-heavy cheat meal my nipples get even puffier than they normally are.

16. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

The only time Prolactin is beneficial is when I run out of milk for my cereal.

17. macro

macro New Member

there are links between blood glucose levels, insulin levels and prolactin production but they are less than clear.

puffyness increase may just be due to water retention from insulin.

avoiding insulin spikes would be advisable if you are trying to treat the issue.

18. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

i get puffy nipples and im also extremely hypoglycemic at times, guess i will wear an ice bag on my head lol

It all goes away though under 8% for me

19. macro

macro New Member

without enough ductal development and proper hormone balance you just produce a kind of oily viscous fluid (not sure of the exact constituents of the fluid). in newborns this is called witch's milk, though its consistancy is likely different because of maternal hormone influences.

as a note- newborn's who have witch's milk are likely to be more prone to later gyno development.

20. macro

macro New Member

prolactin surges can cause hypoglycemia.

21. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

that would explain everything thats going on with me. I may have a prolactimona bc my level is around 38. I already did a CT scan and now I'm having to do an MRI. I hope everything is ok...

22. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

ya thats what i gathered from that article, i also seem to be hot at those moments too. Will oxy calm help at all or make it worse. I ask because its also shown (in women anyway) the prolactin goes up with a negetive mood and prolactin decreases when oxytocin is present (breast feeding)

23. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

And what can these people do to remedy the situation safely?

24. macro

macro New Member

which particular aspect? or just a general prolactin issue?

25. macro

macro New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.