GUN Article on cops vs. armed bad guys

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Mar 17, 2009.

1. http://www.policeone.com/writers/columnists/force-science/articles/1243754/

I've bolded things I found particularly interesting. I know cops who do shoot frequently, and I have met and known cops who would have trouble hitting a man-sized target at 10 yards. I find it amazing that someone could become a cop, and choose to put their life on the line every day, and not take seriously one of the most important things that could lead to their survival in a bad situation.

2. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

get those facts the fuck out of here. assault rifles kill cops and kittens.

3. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Good read.

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

and babies

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

yeah :hs:

6. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Good read.

7. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Interesting read. I have a lot of cop buddies, and I don't think any of them practice even 1/4 as much as I do. They pretty much just hone their skill enough to pass their qualification, which isn't very relevant to a real fire fight. Granted, I am guilty myself of practicing more for "marksmanship" than for real combat situations... Much of that is a result of strict range rules and regulations.

8. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

and they get all their guns at gun shows

and they all use holsters

and they all get their guns legally

and they all follow gun laws

:rofl:

this is fuckin awesome

9. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I wonder how many of these bad guys had their concealed carry permits??

10. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I dont mean this as an anti-cop rant, but it seems like alot of them cant handle the stress. They over react to harmless situations and seem pretty stressed out. And then they get into a gun fight and that stress is amplified by a thousand and they dont have the muscle memory to overcome the adrenaline.

11. Bloody Sunday

all of them, of course. because they all follow the laws

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

From this, we can conclude that cops are clearly monsterous douchebags with a license to murder.

But seriously, this is the major problem. Denial of dangerous nature of the work, whether done out of sloth or a need to cope with the stress, is the biggest cop killer there is.

Guns are for killing. The purpose of lawfully carrying a gun in the civilian world is to deter crime through the threat of death. Anyone not willing to do everything they can to save up for the day they have to put their money down on that bet is gambling with their life and the lives of those around them.

13. Bloody Sunday

:ugh:

so are cars, forks, butter knifes, acid, rope and anything else

get that stupid shit thought out of your head

14. kellyclan

I know the argument you are trying to make. It's the common kneejerk defense of guns when antis say guns serve no purpose in society because they are strictly for killing. It's a defense that, once upon a time, I used myself.

But it's dishonest and simply false.

Any tool can be used in multiple ways, both as the tool was designed and for uses outside its designers intent.

By design, cars are for transportation. Silverware is for eating. Knives are for cutting. Rope is for connecting things together.

A gun is a tool with the design-intended purpose to make it more efficient for a human to inflict serious enough injury at range as to potentially kill.

And I, personally, am tired of making apologies for that. That is their value as a tool. Their purpose and value to society IS that they enable good people to kill bad people if threatened.

More importantly, to deny that fact is to leave yourself ill-prepared for the day you may have to face a deadly threat.

15. Bloody Sunday

I can't argue with that :bigthumb:

16. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Well put. Granted, the anti's tend to attach the key word "only" to their guns and killing argument.

I own guns that are just for fun at the range.... but the primary purpose for me owning the gun that sits at my bedside, or the one I will carry with me... is to attempt to wound and/or kill another human being (or animal) that wishes to do myself or my loved ones harm.

17. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

i think antis see it as "guns are for killing me" where as pros are "guns are for killing those that would harm me"

18. kellyclan

Regardless of how advanced society becomes (and I do think that, in the strictly abstract sense, a "cogs in the machine" is the natural progression of a social species' societal structure), we are still just many billions of individuals with individual motivations, desires, and ambitions.

As long as there is someone willing to kill for personal gain, the rest of us must decide to either match their threat to negate or overcome it or be subject to their whim.