GUN Arrest nets 'cop killer' bullet

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 12, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Arrest nets 'cop killer' bullet
    By PAULETTE PERHACH | More by this reporter | [email protected] | Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 ; Updated: 5:54 AM on Monday, March 12, 2007

A St. Augustine man was arrested Sunday after attempting to load a gun with a "cop killer" bullet after being pulled over, according to the St. Augustine Police Department.

While on patrol early Sunday morning, Officer Eric Stevens saw a Mazda speeding and swerving on S.R. 16. The vehicle then turned south on U.S. 1 and sped up. Stevens turned on his overhead emergency lights, at which point the car spun a U-turn. He turned on his siren and pursued. The car did a U-turn again, but eventually pulled off on the shoulder, according to the report.

Stevens approached the car and ordered the driver to show him his hands. The driver refused to show his right hand. The officer then drew his firearm, the report said, then saw that the driver had a semi-automatic handgun. He ordered the man to drop the weapon.

AD MATCH

The driver then tried to load a magazine in the gun, according to the officer's statement. As the man was trying to load the gun, Stevens opened the car door and pulled him out and onto the ground. He handcuffed the suspect and put him in the back of the patrol car.

A search of the vehicle turned up a Glock 10 mm and two magazines. A magazine found in the glove compartment contained hollow-point rounds. The magazine found with the gun contained bullets known as "cop killers," which are Teflon-coated bullets that earned their name because of their ability to penetrate body armor. :noes: :ugh:

Another officer, Cpl. Jason Etheredge, arrived on the scene. He opened the back door of the patrol car to interview the suspect. At that time, he found the suspect out of his handcuffs and reaching for his boot, according to the report.

Etheridge drew his gun and ordered the suspect to show him his hands and step away from out of the vehicle.

As the man stepped out, Stevens took him to the ground, causing the suspect to strike his face on the concrete, cutting the area above his left eye. The officers called for rescue vehicles. They arrived and transported the suspect to be treated.

In his report, Stevens wrote: "At the time of my stop, when I observed the handgun, I was in fear of my life. ... I believe the defendant had the ability to use his weapon on me."

James Smith, 41, of St. Augustine, was charged with driving while his license is suspended or revoked, fleeing or attempting to flee from an officer and aggravated assault on a law-enforcement officer. Police records show that he has had a total of nine suspensions on his driver's license.

He was taken to St. Johns County Jail.

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

fucking ignorant reporters.

3. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

oh yeah, hollow points are real cop killers... give me a fucking break. the media should all be stabbed.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

I wish someone would invent a "reporter killer" bullet.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

letter sent. I won't be too quick to blame her, there's a very good chance the police contact told them cop killer teflon bullets too.

6. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

:roflw:

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

copy of email posted here?

8. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

glock makes a 10mm????

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

My god.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I hope some of you bitches weren't too mean and nasty because as I suspected, this isn't her fault. If your letters were cordial and friendly perhaps we can get a correction printed and help spread the word that cop killer bullets are brady bunch hysteria with no basis in fact.

11. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:uh: And I'm sure the cut above the guys eye was no accident, not saying he didn't deserve it though.

12. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:cool: As the saying goes, you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.

13. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

G20 and G29 are both 10mm

i just got this reply from her too...

Hi,
    I’ve gotten a few of these e-mails today. We were given the wrong information by police and I’ll be running a correction tomorrow.

Thanks for your help,

~Paulette

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  14. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Really I justsee that as misinformation that isn't worth getting into a fuss over. I have Hydra-shocks and GoldDots, and even if they aren'tcoated in teflon they are still called cop killers. To explain that a cop carries cop killers would do more good than explain what the bullets really were. Someone that has a CCW should carry what the cops carry if you really want to feel safe.

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

in for correction on the internet

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I disagree, letting the public know that there is no such thing as "cop killer bullets" is very important.

17. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I love the irony.. Hollow points- designed to expand on impact.. or ball. designed for deeper penetration!

18. Gimik

Gimik New Member

That must be embarassing for her. I feel bad, but it's what happens when you don't do your research.

19. t1h

t1h Guest

school me on why she's wrong, since i have no clue. i thought the bullet had to have a very pointed tip to be a cop killer

20. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

Someone had been watching too much "Lethal Weapon 3", I suspect. Did the "cop killer" bullet have a smooth jacket, too?

21. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

she asked me where she could find information on penetration ballistics... i told her www.google.com :mamoru:

22. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

this lady has been very nice to deal with... here is her latest email to me

We’re trying to find out exactly how they became known as cop killers.

Does this correction work?

Bullets known as “cop killers,” such as the ones found with the suspect arrested Sunday, got their name from the myth that they penetrate body armor. According to the NRA, no law enforcement officer has ever been killed or even injured because an armor piercing bullet penetrated a bullet-resistant vest. We reported otherwise and regret the error.

~Paulette

23. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

post the correction tomorrow :x:

24. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

hollow points are designed to mushroom on impact, for maximum stopping effect. ball rounds are designed for deeper penetration. no round from a handgun(typical calibers, .45 .40, 9mm) should penetrate ANY current law enforcement vest, hollow point or not.

now rifle rounds, thats a completely different story. an AK should go through any level 3 vest.

25. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

maybe we can get the mythbusters to do a ballistics test to prove that LEO's are wrong on this.