MIL Army uptight about body armor v. ibrepost

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Navvik, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

i came across this article yesterday and was confused, so i figured i'd start upa topic about it in the barracks and see what all you soldiers out there think and feel. i've considered going to iraq with a PMC and was waondering what types of armor to purchase, whether it be the interceptor standard issue, or the dragon skin or various otehr models, then i came across these articles:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htinf/articles/20070528.aspx

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=2786663&C=mideast

i find myself confused because of the differing reports, and it seems to me that the military is trying to keep hold of the cheaper interceptor over a better, yet heavier body armor? or am i just an idiotic tool?
    please discuss? :)

2. xevresII

xevresII New Member

idk but if you get killed over there its cause youre blown to bits.

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Pusan might disagree with you.

4. I was watching the pentagon channel and they were discussing using new armor. The sgtmaj for the marine corps said that dragon skin or w/e was not better than what they use now and that if it was better it would be a different case. Maybe he didn't see future weapons :mamoru:

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I watched a video of a long press briefing by General Cuoso where they showed exactly how the Dragon Skin armor that was submitted for testing failed. Out of the 8 sets of Dragon Skin that were submitted for testing, half of the sets failed to stop a round. It also failed the freeze/thaw test, where it was subjected to temps that would simulate the armor being on a cargo plane and going from hot temps to cold temps (at altitude) and down again to hot temps. The glue that holds the discs together in the Dragon Skin couldn't take the extreme temperature change. An x-ray showed most of the discs sitting along the bottom seam of the armor.

The pass/fail mark for any test of body armor by the Army is if one round makes it through the armor then the armor has failed. The Army gave Dragon Skin more leeway than they should have before calling a halt to an obviously flawed system.

I have the video saved to my work computer. I can't find it on the net anymore. When I go to work Saturday night I'll try to host it, but in the meantime here's the transcript of the briefing:
    http://www.defenselink.mil/Transcripts/Transcript.aspx?TranscriptID=3967

6. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

could it have been possible that the 4 that failed the test were simply made for small arms fire? because the report says that 4 failed on the first round of 7.62mm, the pinnacle catalog has two types of dragon skin, one for heavy AP rounds and one for smaller AP rounds, such as slub, handgun, and the like?

7. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

ok after reading the entire transcript at work this morning instead of working, i think i'd rather go with the interceptor body armor, while dragon skin might be superior in idea, its not up to snuff yet. interceptor isnt commercially available is it?

8. JSin

JSin New Member

Awesome.

9. Ranger-AO

The Army put the dragonskin armor that they were provided by the manufacturer through the exact same tests that they put every other armor that was in competition for the contract. The company CEO or President was present for every test, so that they could ensure that their product was being given a fair and impartial test. The videos were dead on. Dragonskin flat out failed. Repeatedly.

10. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

ok, i'm sold, where can i get the military standard issue? and dont tell me by enlisting:nono:

11. Ranger-AO

It took some digging, but here is the article and the video. The video shows everything you need to know about the quality of dragonskin. It's a lengthy video, but once he gets to the actual footage of the tests, there will be no doubt in your mind that dragonskin is not all it's cracked up to be.

Just click on the VIDEO link on this page:
    http://www.army.mil/-news/2007/05/22/3292-army-defends-body-armor-quality/

12. Ranger-AO

I don't think it's available to the public. And besides, it's heavy (although not as heavy as dragonskin) and hot as fuck in the summer.

13. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

well if i had a choice between lugging something heavy around on a hot day, and dying, i think i'd choose the lesser of two very evil evils.

14. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

even if it was better, i wouldn't want to wear that heavy fucking shit
    i'll take more mobility any day

15. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

16. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

remember the quicker you ccan move the soon you will get to cover.

17. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

saw the sapi plates work for the most part. Kills took place by being shot in the neck, or weird round bounces inside the armor from either snipers or IDF. However, our mass casualties were from belly buster IEDs. I really don't know how the fuck the Summer deployment guys other there roll with all that gear on though with the heat. I weighed myself and it's about 66lbs with just a combat load... ie - Kevlar, Flak, front back and side sapis, neck and throat guard, rifle, + rounds / mags. To be honest with you, I would rather roll without any gear on. Maybe just a front and back sapi. It's just too much shit. I laugh at guys who rarely roll out of the wire who are absolutely bogged down with specter gear and every single piece of PPE applicable. You just can't preform like you should. Oh yeah... one last thing: Fuck eye pro

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  18. cossack

no fuck ear pro. even more.

19. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

EBAY

20. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

ear pro?

21. cossack

yeah really LOL, my CO is a real dick about it.

22. ArmyDoc

ArmyDoc New Member

I took 4 rounds from an AK and 1 from an m16 in the past 2 years of my Army Career and the Intercepter kept me in the fight all 3 times. And when running the gauntlets of Baghdad put the mother fuckers up in the windows, it will keep most of the shraponel from IED's out of your humvees, might lose the truck but you will still be alive to get the fuckers in the building across the street shooting at you

23. Ranger-AO

When I first read your post I was thinking "wtf summer deployment" :ugh2:

And then I remembered you're a Marine. :mamoru:

24. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

yeah ...rotations are
    1. april - october
    2. october - april

(as far as i know)

but from what i see of the army and other branches .... you guys got it made on your bases so I can see the reasoning for lengthy deployments. There was a Marine unit that was staying a one of our big bases... camp fallujah... and got extended for a couple more months. They can complain all they want with those frappacinos and huge chow halls :rofl:

25. Zee

Zee New Member

:eek3: :h5:

Glad you made it back alive and in one piece