MIL Army Reserves or Army National Guard?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

What are the differences? I shouldn't be surprised at this, but I can't get a straight answer out of my recruiters.

I know the NG is state-specific, can be mobilized by the state during emergencies, has some benefits like state-run college tuition... But what are the operational differences? Any difference between how the Reserves and NG deploy? Any difference in training, equipment, etc?

2. Ranger-AO

The Reserves recruiter says he can schedule me for MEPS whenever I'm ready. He put my package together yesterday. :eek3:

3. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

The head of the Army Reserve, complaining about recent strains on his force and what he says are overly permissive personnel rules, warned top brass in December that the 200,000 soldiers under his command are "rapidly degenerating into a 'broken' force." About 40 percent of soldiers in Iraq are so-called weekend warriors. That figure includes members of the Army Reserve and the National Guard. What's the difference between the two?

The reserves and National Guard make up about 45 percent of the military's total manpower and are divided into seven branches: The Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard each have their own dedicated reserve force. Then there is the Air National Guard and Army National Guard.

The Army and other reserves are always under the president's control. Not so with National Guard units. Though the federal government picks up much of the bill, both Air Force and Army National Guard units are assigned to and primarily controlled by states, which actually gives them greater freedom on the home front. The Posse Comitatus Act makes it illegal for troops to enforce civilian laws but doesn't apply to soldiers serving states. Governors can and frequently do call up National Guard troops to serve as kind of adjunct police (as, for instance, when National Guardsmen are asked to enforce curfews after hurricanes).

National Guard units can be federalized by the president should he declare a national emergency, as President Bush did with a partial mobilization after 9/11. The president has relied on that same emergency declaration to keep National Guard units available for Iraq. When such an order is given, the part-timers, who normally train one weekend a month and two additional weeks per year, can be called to duty for two-year stints, a timeframe the Army is now considering lengthening. (Soldiers usually don't serve anywhere near that long when working for governors.) The federal government can go one step further: A full mobilization can happen if Congress declares a national emergency. If such a situation occurs, soldiers can be required to serve for "length of the emergency plus six months."

The part-time soldiers of the Army Reserve can also be tossed into active duty for the same amount of time. That's not the only similarity between the reserves and the National Guard forces. There are frequent complaints from both about second-rate equipment. And then there's the echoing language. About a month before the Army's Reserve's commander warned of the possibility of "a broken force," the Guard's top commander warned that unless something is done to alleviate the strain on his forces, the "Guard will be broken and not ready the next time it's needed, either here at home or for war."

5. Ranger-AO

First link when you do a google search for difference "national guard" reserves. I read it last night, but it doesn't go in depth enough. :hs:

6. pakman

pakman New Member

I believe there are no actual combat units within the Army Reserves. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of a AR infantry unit. The Guard does have combat units though. As far as drills and what not, everything is pretty much the same. Above that, it can get a little different. Guardsmen can usually only be involuntarily transfered to another unit within the state. Reserves however, can be transfered to anywhere around the country.

7. Ranger-AO

I have never heard that before. :eek4:

This is the biggest reason why I am leaning toward the Reserves. I'm worried that after Iraq dies down, Guard units will get caught up in a tug-of-war between Federal and State duty. I don't want to find out too late that my state isn't deploying any more troops.

8. burton564

burton564 New Member

the army reserve has 19 infantry regiments, so i think they got some combat arms

9. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Im in the guard now. I would say guard before reserve only because the benefits are better.

Ranger you thinking of going back part time? Biggest thing right now is to check when the unit was last deployed. Also fight for a job and do not let them fuck you out of a bonus because your were prior service.

10. smokie700

I'm confused. In the guard you will rarely get called for state duty unless it is an emergency.

11. Glennhuricane

Glennhuricane New Member

both are ate-up
    national gaurd gets better benefits but there is a chance to be called if there is a hurricane in your state
    you will have to hand out food and shit
    also, i heard promotions are ALOT slower in NG

12. Ranger-AO

:eek3: excellent advice!

I'm on it :hsd:

I'm not worried about being called for state duty. I'm worried about deployments to Iraqistanuwait ending for Guard units when the politicians end their pissing match over when to pull out of Iraq.

Yeah... that's how it was in the Air Force Reserve. But that was back when Guard/Reserves really were just weekend jobs.

13. smokie700

Dude your full of it. Promotions come at the same pace as active duty or faster. I made my e-4 in 18 months. granted i was infantry but when i went to active duty my buddies from basic (that are in the guard) were pinning on E-6 when I was pinning on E-5.

Also my division 256th Inf(m) was getting better qual scores than most active units.

14. Glennhuricane

Glennhuricane New Member

dude calm down
    my friends is in NG, he said in his unit you have to wait until someone retires or leaves the unit to be promoted

plus infantry always gets promoted faster

15. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

I'm guard and everybody seems to be getting promoted a hell of alot faster than active guys do.