MIL Army Regs questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SuperMaWiiOH, Jan 4, 2009.

1. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I'm at Fort Jackson and I have a few questions. First, I was walking and talking on my cell phone in civilian clothes and someone pulled up next to me in their van and said, "hey soldier, why are you walking and talking on your cell phone?" I explained that it was from my understanding that you are allowed as long as you are in civilian clothes. They claimed that no one is allowed to walk and talk. I asked a few other people about this and they said they have never heard of it being banned in civilian clothes. So is this a case of someone thinking they know everything like usual? What and where is the actual regulation on this?

My next question. In the Air Force you were allowed to wear like 2 or 3 uniform items with civilian clothes (I know this is the Army, just saying). I wore the tan shirt and boots and go with the ACU uniform, with jeans, and someone said they think that that's not allowed although they often see people wear uniform items with civilian clothes before. What and where is the actual regulation on this?

I would love to have these regs on my iPhone for quick access should anyone spout off about things they think they know about. I did try searching for these online and I could not find any information. Thank you!

2. Julius

Julius Guest

tell them to fuck off and die, you're allowed to walk and talk with a phone in civvies, unless there's some gay ass post policy for it.

refer to AR 670-1 for the regs on wearing your uniform with civvies. i can't remember it. even if it is allowed, it would be awesome if you didn't do that, because it really stands out as tacky.

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

1. Refer to base policy letters in regards to walking and talking. 99% of base commanders put out a policy letter not allowing it, regardless of what you are wearing. Usually falls under safety.

2. Now, for mixing and matching.

1–4. General
    a. Only uniforms, accessories, and insignia prescribed in this regulation or in the common tables of allowance
    (CTA), or as approved by Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA), will be worn by personnel in the U.S.
    Army. Unless specified in this regulation, the commander issuing the clothing and equipment will establish wear
    policies for organizational clothing and equipment. No item governed by this regulation will be altered in any way that
    changes the basic design or the intended concept of fit as described in TM 10–227 and AR 700–84, including plating,
    smoothing, or removing detail features of metal items, or otherwise altering the color or appearance. All illustrations in
    this regulation should coincide with the text. The written description will control any inconsistencies between the text
    and the illustration.
    b. AR 70–1 prescribes Department of the Army (DA) policies, responsibilities, and administrative procedures by
    which all clothing and individual equipment used by Army personnel are initiated, designed, developed, tested,
    approved, fielded, and modified.
    c. AR 385–10 prescribes DA policies, responsibilities, and administrative procedures and funding for protective
    clothing and equipment.
    d. In accordance with chapter 45, section 771, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 771), no person except a
    member of the U.S. Army may wear the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform of the U.S. Army unless
    otherwise authorized by law. Additionally, no person except a member of the U.S. Army may wear a uniform, any part
    of which is similar to a distinctive part of the U.S. Army uniform. This includes the distinctive uniforms and uniform
    items listed in paragraph 1–12 of this regulation. Further, soldiers are not authorized to wear distinctive uniforms or
    uniform items of the U.S. Army or of other U.S. Services with, or on civilian clothes, except as provided in chapters 27
    through 30 of this regulation.

1-9 e. Wear of military and civilian items.
    (1) The wear of a combination of civilian and military clothing is prohibited, unless prescribed in this regulation or
    other authorization documents approved by HQDA.

Only exception being you can now mix and match the Army PT uniform with civilian clothing.

4–4. Occasions for wear
    The PFU and the IPFU are authorized for wear on and off duty, on and off the installation, when authorized by the
    commander. Soldiers may wear all or part of the PFU or IPFU with civilian attire off the installation, when authorized
    by the commander.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

so you wore the tan undershirt and boots with jeans....t shirt and boots are not distinctive IMO

5. JSin

JSin New Member

I think I could distinguish someone wearing the Army tan t-shirt pretty easily, along with the boots.

6. kazimer

kazimer New Member

BRACKAC pretty much nailed it.
    Check local policy letters first

Mixing uniform items will ALWAYS be a sore topic. I used to carry around the pages of AR670-1 that were questionable by the old school guys. I would show them the reg and politely tell them to fuck off and I didnt care about their personal feelings towards policy changes

A tan t-shirt can be bought anywhere. With that said what kind of homo are you that you can't wear "normal" non issued clothing on your offtime :greddy: