MIL Army MP questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SuperMaWiiOH, Dec 23, 2007.

1. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I used to be a AF SF so I was wanting to ask a few questions about being an Army MP. If you are prior service MP/SF do you have to go through the Armys MP AIT? What type of schedule do Army MPs work? In the AF SF work different schedules. Some are called Panama (12 hour shifts), while other people may work a 3 day on 3 day off (12 hour shifts) or even 4 days on 2 days off (8 hour shifts). Do Army MPs do anything on base other than MP work? AF has nuke bases which if you are stationed there you have a slim chance at doing actual MP work, your mostly a babysitter for nukes which sucks big time. Any input would be great, thanks!

2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

All my experience was working as an MP in germany but...

The schedule will depend on your unit, ours worked 8 hour shifts and your days off were totally random. You'd generally work 4-6 days out of the week. And the work will depend mainly on the post. We did mainly normal MP work but whenever there was some kind of threat or whatever we'd be babysitting the gates with the guards, or walking the fencelines.

3. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

Another thing, do Army MPs have a lot of exercises? AF SF have tons!!! All the time they are running exercises for different situations.

4. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

I'd say maybe 1-2x a month we ran different ones...I always thought we should have done way more.

Funny story though, One guy I worked with was called to the high school because of a suspicious person (during school day). He pulls up and starts checking around and sees a guy walking around the building with a rifle. He ran up behind the guy and and was drawing his pistol on him when the post QRF guys ran out and start yelling "woah woah hold on, its just an exercise!!!"

Nga almost got shot :noes:

5. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

I'm a Marine MP. Can't speak much for the army, but our shifts vary with man power. We usually do 12 hour shifts, 2 on 2 off..every other weekend being a 3 day on/off. When we loose a lot of MP's to deployments, we generally go to a 8 hour schedule, and the days off can be random. But we try and get at least a 5 on 2 off rotation if possible.

6. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I used to be a AF SF so I was wanting to ask a few questions about being an Army MP. If you are prior service MP/SF do you have to go through the Armys MP AIT? What type of schedule do Army MPs work? In the AF SF work different schedules. Some are called Panama (12 hour shifts), while other people may work a 3 day on 3 day off (12 hour shifts) or even 4 days on 2 days off (8 hour shifts). Do Army MPs do anything on base other than MP work? AF has nuke bases which if you are stationed there you have a slim chance at doing actual MP work, your mostly a babysitter for nukes which sucks big time. Any input would be great, thanks!

7. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

LOL why did you just copy what I had said?

8. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

Wow 1-2 exercises a month? AF SF run that in a day. It actually gets pretty annoying, especially if it's a base wide exercise where you have to wear full gear, use your CAC card just to get food at the chow hall, all this crap. I just wanna do my job and relax, not do exercises all the time. I got a gun pulled on me in an exercise once, lol. Feels weird when a gun is drawn at you.

9. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I was told before I got into the AF that SF is the worst job you can get. Does anyone think that about Army MPs? Are the hours that bad? Are the people jerks? Is it really strict?

10. burton564

burton564 New Member

No one likes MPs. The only friends MP's have are other cops. FACT.

btw the army has two types of MP's garrison cops, and combat support mps who go do dirty work with combat arms

11. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

The hours arent bad usually but it sucks working holidays all the time. And yeah alot of the MP/MPI/CID guys are dicks. It can be pretty strict since you're supposed to be the example.

The job had some hard points, like getting calls right before the end of shift which meant you were on until it was done. That can easily turn an 8 hour day into a 12 hour one. Overall it was cake though..I'd say maybe 3/4 of the day you had nothing to do, I never read so much or watched so many movies in my life before that job.

12. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Yea, for the most part

Not rly...any unit can be used for either role. They may get stuck in one or the other for a few years but they can still be used for either.

13. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I know in the AF SF isn't supposed to have their phones or gaming devices or anything like that with them, but of course who listens to that? Is that how Army MP is? Do they do anything special like a holiday schedule? You said it's strict, in what way? AF SF were supposed to have the best shined boots and starched and ironed uniform, what about Army MP?

14. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Have fun pulling security in Iraq

15. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

Anyone have a clue about if you were in one branchs MP program if you would go through anothers?

16. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

you wouldnt have to go to school again

17. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

At a minimum he will have to go through the Warrior Transition Course.

18. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

hooah. dot.

19. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

Army MP for 5 years now :wavey:

20. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

How you liking it?