GUN Army Looking for replacement for M4?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Dec 9, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/11/army_carbineday_112308w/

Discuss.

Personally, I don't have a huge opinion. I don't really get into AR's that much, but have always found them excellent for nearly any run and gun type stuff. I realize that my needs, and that of the soldier (or government providing weaponary for said soldier) are vastly different, so I feel as though I simply don't have anything that could resemble an informed opinion.

I'm actually more worried about the possible implications regarding the future validity of "the chart" once the TDP goes public. If something were to change to the TDP, thus making "the chart" invalid, I think the ripple effect of everyone immediately having obsolete M4geries could cause such turmoil amongst the gun community that a black hole would develop over Hardford, CT thus comsuming us all in a downward spiral of unparked FSB's, Prancing ponies, and HK elitism.

For Reference:

[​IMG]

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I dont think it will change for at least another 5-10yrs. If you look at the tortue tests(60k round test) that they run on there weapons and look at how failures the weapons get (M4, M16, 416, XM8, etc). I think the M4 was around 700 failures where the 416 and XM8 were 400 and 200.

So roughly M4 = 1.2%percent failure, and others between .2-8%. Its going to come down to a cost versus actual benefit. I think thats why the army keeps denying dragon skin also to be honest. Also I doubt any non standard NATO will ever take off for alot of reasons. I mean 6.5grendal is a great rounds but it will never be a issue round since it isnt NATO.

The XM8 is a great example for instance once they started giving them to units they HATED them. All there pluses ended up not working or failing. They were great in test but sucked in the field. Plus most testing is retarded like the M4 sand test that had them shoot 6000rds :rofl: Thats 200magazines more than any soilder will probably carry in Iraq or Afghanistan

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I thought Dragonskin was rejected because it could result in more deaths due to blunt force trauma? Don't the hard plates of traditional armor absorb some of the kinetic energy of a projectile and the soft armor beneath helps dissipate it further? Dragonskin lacks the hard armor and therefore, when you get hit with, say a shotgun slug, you're more likely to die not due to penetration but rather blunt force trauma

4. LancerV

They said it failed on penetration but theres been alot of :hsugh: about that including a man buying a vest that the DOD tested that "had been penetrated" but the vest had none. Also Dragon Skin is a good 20-30lbs heavier than IBA's

5. LancerV

Even they guy of Interceptor says Dragon skin is better
    [y]KTrTrsJu3pk[/y]

6. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

god that shit makes me mad

7. LancerV

You're telling me Im in the Army

8. Oh god, not the chart!

I'm in for the 6.5 Grendel issue weapon though.

9. LancerV

Wont happen unless it becomes a NATO round :wtc:

10. Bill Alexander should get on that shit.

11. tylerweneck

tylerweneck Guest

:eek3: woa dragon skin ftw

12. THT

But it's been updated!

13. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Why don't they just buy M&P15 rifles since they are cheaper?

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm betting bigger (longer OAL) magazines, and a fuck you to the Hague stuff (to run the TSX bullets) would tidely nip a lot of the terminal ballistics stuff in the butt, without having to change platforms/cartridges.

Fuck playing with a handicap.

15. LancerV

Remember we cant use any hollow points, but they are talking about switching to 72-75gr bullets

16. THT

I'll never understand the point of the Geneva Convention. It's war not a pillowfight. The boundaries are set by the combatants.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I know, and I think that's the stupidest fucking thing ever. A "hollow point".... really!?!?! It's like the kind of trash you'd expect to hear in a movie.

Need to get some priorities in check..... It's been a while since I heard someone who carried a gun for a living, doing so WITHOUT intent to kill a motherfucker. If that's the case, might as well issue everyone pepper spray and a tazer.

18. LancerV

Actually when it comes to actual War injuring is better than killing. If someone is injured its going to require 2-3 people to take care of him thus getting rid of removing 2-3 people from the fight. If someone is dead they will still get the body but continue to fight back without having to attend to the wounded.

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've always heard that..... but never been keen on it.

If I was shooting at someone, I would want them down for the count, not able to pull some hero shit and kill me with their last dying breath or something retarded.

20. LancerV

You have to remember also that the military has to shoot through body armor, steel targets etc.. so i dont even think a hollow point would be really a good idea except for maybe select special forces units.

They do have the Mk262 right now which is an OTM bullet

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

First off, there could not possibly be a black hole OVER Hartford, CT, because it would be sucked into the black hole that IS Hartford, CT.

Second, the Army's been looking for a replacement to the M16/M4 since 1972. Believe it when it happens and not a second before.

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The phrase "hollow point" is an absolutely meaningless designator.

Case in point: Many varmint bullets have a "hollow point" tip, meaning that there is a cavity in the meplat. So does a TSX. They don't at all perform equally in regards to controlled expansion, nor terminal ballistics.

Its simply a feel good term, that does absolutely nothing to describe the bullet construction proper, nor the expansion tendencies which all correlate to terminal ballistics.

23. +1

The bullet on the left is a hollowpoint as people think of them. The bullet on the right is an OTM bullet. While the point is hollow, it isn't designed to perform as a traditional hollowpoint.
    [​IMG]

24. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Old school warfare, son. The people we're fighting these days don't try to rescue their injured, they leave them to live or die Inshallah. Faster they get their virgins, the better.

25. LancerV

And we now use the bullets on the right in war :h5: