MIL Army has a diving program?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JonDaAzn, Apr 12, 2006.

1. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

I'm graduating from high school soon and I've been getting the obligatory calls from the military recruiters, during one of the calls an army recruiter told me that they have some sort of diving program, I thought it might be affiliated with their river transport or whatever but he said they do deep sea work but couldn't tell me much else (didn't know), does anyone have any idea what he was talking about?

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

People dive under desks to make rank.

3. burton564

burton564 New Member

21D

yeah its at fort leonard wood, they are engineers. underwater demolition and shit. go here. http://www.wood.army.mil/577th/diver/

4. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

this is what i found on goarmy.com if anyone is interested

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=83

it says 21D on both websites but for some reason when it says for recruiting, it says to apply under 00B, is this just a typo?

also, does the navy have an underwater EOD program? or would that fall under UDT?

5. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I think 00B is an old designation. IIRC you have to pass some physical and swimming tests to even try and sign up for the MOS. (don't hold me to that, my info is from 7 years ago when I joined and I vaguely remember another guy at my recruiting station going through this.

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

About a month ago Diving Recruiting posters popped up in the gyms on post. You have to pass an assortment of physicals tests on Day 1. From what I can remember. 42 pushups-chest to ground, no rest position-2mins, 1.5mile run under 14:30, 500m swim in like 14mins, 25m underwater swim and situps as well I believe.

7. kazimer

kazimer New Member

dont expect to get much help on going dive from the army.
    i just left fort leonardwood for engineer officer basic course
    i asked everyday for 2.5 months straight about getting slotted to become a dive officer. apparently its a closed community and the school is supposedly hard...but they said the same thing about OCS and other "hooah schools"...then after my 5th month of being there and the day before i PCS, i get offered a dive slot from a colonel because i blasted my entire chain of command in an AAR...i turned it down on the spot.

try to get the MOS from the start and go from there...dont take the crap of picking a secondary MOS. because they will jew you out of a dive slot

i also wanted to be a platoon leader for a river boat operations group...didnt get any help with that

im bitter with the US Army Corps of Engineers :o

8. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

so why the hell would you turn it down if you wanted it so bad

9. kazimer

kazimer New Member

well after not training specifically for the school for about 3 months. i would be walking right into the trap of reasons to keep the diving community closed. they would say "these damn LTs think they are hot shit and in shape and cant make it to phase II training." if i went to dive school i didnt want to have any doubts in my mind of passing. struggling to keep up for the next 6 months of dive school is not conducive of a good preparation and it shows piss poor leadership

10. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

From what I've been told it is basically the hardest school in the army to get.

11. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

If you go SF and pass the qual course, there are dive positions.

12. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Is that the scuba bubble :hsugh: ?

13. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Combat Diver Qualifcation Course. Yea it is though its been changed. It has SHARKS on it :)