MIL Army friend in some shit... need help.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CKMustangCobra, Feb 10, 2010.

1. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

Details are sketchy, from family member.

Friend claims he accidentally filled out paperwork incorrectly during his past 3 PCS. Marked married instead of single/divorced or something. Was receiving BAH (he is a Staff) and dependent pay (has a daughter, lives with mother/ex wife) along with all the other pay from various deployments. Someone finds out and the result is a Court Martial. Informed sister that they are docking $1000 our of each paycheck, processing for DD and is possibly looking at 5 years in Levinworth.

Something is missing from this story and it sucks that I can not get in touch with him.

Does this sound correct in any way to any of you Barracks people?

2. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Needs to talk to a JAG officer.

3. CKMustangCobra

Apparently the CM has already taken place and he is awaiting a sentence/decision.

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

He knowingly and willingly defrauded the government. He gets everything they throw at him.

5. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

pretty much... his LES (paycheck stub) showed him getting the money every month, and he knew what it was for... and for three pcs moves? c'mon man...

I don't know him... and I don't know you, but given the details you've provided it sounds like he just plain got caught defrauding the government.

6. rat

rat New Member

:rofl: @ accidentally filling out married during last 3 PCS's

7. tan koi

tan koi Guest

Yeah, he sounds like a fucking fraud.

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Maybe someone didn't explain Married or Single to him.

9. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift New Member

Its the Army, they're lucky if the average soldier knows the difference :mamoru:

But seriously, your boy thought he was smarter than the 11xbillion admin jockeys who have absolutely nothing else to do but go over paperwork. He is pretty much fucked at this point.

10. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Someone should have caught this earlier. There should have been someone to check all of his stuff and make sure it was all good and legit. I read he was staff though....so yea that makes sense.

11. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Just came back from a TDY, and jr. enlisted soldiers had to turn in their LES. Is that normal?

12. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

hahaha, bah fraud. Staff Sgt should have known better. Fucking E6s think they walk on water.

13. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Actually, no it's NOT normal. Why? b/c the commander should already have your LES. It's called the Commanders Financial Report. I used to get one on my Soldiers everymonth. From LT down.

What's sad is that the OPs friend's commanders and 1sg's let it slip for so long.

14. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

who the fuck "accidentally" marks married when they're single?

15. CKMustangCobra

This is why I don't get the story I got from his sister.

Aren't NCOs entitled to BAH anyways? He has a daughter so he would get dependent pay also.

The married/single shit doesn't make sense... he isn't dumb. I seriously doubt he did anything on purpose to commit fraud.

He is also a medic. Not sure about the Army, but people charged with medical in the USCG are pretty smart and very detail oriented.

I still haven't talked to him directly about the situation.

I am still wondering why the fact that he was married or not makes a difference on his BAH and pay.

16. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

There is a difference in BAH pay between married and single, normally a couple of hundred dollars a month difference. Also, he could have received other pay due to selecting married as his status. Increased DLA, sep pay while deployed, etc. Sounds like your friend defrauded the military for tens of thousands of dollars.

17. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I heard BAH fraud was the thing that sent most people to prison in the military. If he truly defrauded the system then he deserves every bit of what is coming to him.

18. shiba

shiba Active Member

just because he's smart doesn't mean he's not greedy.

19. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/mcm/bl132.htm[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maximum punishment. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](1) Article 132 (1) and (2). Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](2) Article 132(3) and (4). [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](a) When amount is $500.00 or less. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months. [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](b) When amount is over $500.00. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years. [/FONT]​

20. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

OUCH! His best bet would be plea bargain it down. I'm guessing rank reduction and 45 and 45 and of course Army will get there money back.

21. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

"your buddy" is fucked

22. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

MAYBE get away with calling 2 times an accident, but 3 strikes and youre fucking out

23. CKMustangCobra

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't know BAH was different for married/single. I've been married since enlisting. I also do not have children so I don't have any experience with that. Separation pay is another thing I don't have experience with. Not sure if it is more or less if married/single/1 kid/2 kids...

I still can't get a hold of him.

We were good friends throughout high school and he enlisted right after graduation. Been on deployments and PCS all over the world since. Only seen him a few times for a day or so in the past 10 years. Sucks to see him go through some shit like this but I also agree... if you do something dumb or purposely commit fraud you deserve to pay the consequences.