MIL ARMY CREW: Post your Combat Patches

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Now that I have one too, what all do you guys have. I can wear these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

my 2

3. Julius

Julius Guest

4. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

None. I have been in for almost 5 years. :rofl:

Last Patch: [​IMG]

5. Off

Off Memento Mori

what do these signify? Tour with x unit?

6. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

Unit you deployed with to a combat zone.

7. willijdub

willijdub New Member

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I'm glad the Corps did away with unit/combat patches.

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Just an FYI to some that may not know ...

If the only contact you had with a unit was that they authorized you to wear their combat patch because you worked under their authority in some AOR, the guys that have actually been in that unit will give you the :rolleyes: look if you get caught bragging about "I earned my 1st CAV combat patch back in 2006" in some bar somewhere.

I'm just saying... :hsugh:

10. willijdub

willijdub New Member

earned usacapoc, usasoc, soccent, and centcom combat patches by simply being psyop and deploying to iraq. earned my 1st cav patch by being attached to 2-2-5 MiTT out of fob Gabe from february-july 2007. earned my 2id patch working with 2-5 FA out of fob warhorse july 2007-february 2008.

my team was a fully integral part of the (Alamo) MiTT and 2-5 strykers. any one of those guys would tell you that my TPT earned those patches going out on countless missions, and seeing a great amount of contact.:wavey:

11. Ranger-AO

I'm not saying you didn't put your balls up on the block with every other swinging dick in the units that you are authorized a combat patch from. What I'm saying is you will get the :rolleyes: from any active duty 1CAV guy that sees you walking through an airport with your 1CAV combat patch on if he asks you when you were stationed at Ft Hood and you tell him you earned it while you were deployed.

I earned every one of the combat patches I'm authorized to wear, as well. Especially the 1CAV patch that I wore when they pulled the active duty RC teams out of Sadr City and replaced them with us. It's a point of pride for me to know that when Sadr City was going to shit, they sent us in in place of an active duty unit, and I sure as fuck earned that unit's patch.

But having said that, it is a natural reaction for guys that are in those units to look down on guys that wear the patch because they were in a Company or Brigade that fell under the umbrella of the higher unit. True story.

12. Ranger-AO

Oh - and speaking of Strykers... I will sucker punch any man that tells me he was in a Stryker in Sadr City in March through May of 2008. True fucking story.

13. willijdub

willijdub New Member

i totally agree, because it is true. fair enough.

cliffs on stryker story?

2-2-3 strykers in muqtadia left us once... in the middle of the city. we had been up the better part of three days, asked of theyd pull security on our humvee while we got some much needed sleep. they circled 5 strykers around our humvee and said rack out... i awoke later to piss... stepped out, started watering the tire... looked up.. and saw.... NO FUCKING STRYKERS!!! they just left. no one woke us. i jumped back in and woke my other teammembers. we found the strykers on the bft a ways down the road. they changed radio freqs too. so yea... couldnt get ahold of them, and they left us. then fire warning shots at us when we came driving to meet them. WTF??? we had lights on.... very recognizeable humvee lights. ..sigh*

maybe we can get together and go punch stryker guys as a team?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  14. Ranger-AO

So imagine Sadr City as one big urban ambush training mockup, only it's real. Imagine that in this (real) training scenario that you are supposed to go "clear all explosive hazards in the city", but because it's a large fucking area filled with several million people you aren't going to be able to clear it all in one fell swoop. So you turn to your benevolent chain of command and you say "Chain - please send some Strykers in with us. We will clear the way for them and when we need to go replace our blown up bodies and vehicles, these Strykers can stay in their cleared areas and provide overwatch so that nobody will go behind us and set us up the bomb." So Chain saw that it was a good plan, and one deserving of his blessing, and Chain sent us some Strykers with trustworthy crews and dependable weapons.

Only the Stryker crews decided that "overwatch" was just another word for "let's park this fucker and get some sleep!" :ugh2:

We would clear up to our designated phase line, let the Stryker crews get settled, and then drag our busted vehicles and men back to JSS Sadr for replacements, stitches, food, and a couple hours of sleep. We realized that the Stryker crews weren't doing shit when we started finding IEDs on the same routes we had cleared both going in and coming out of Sadr City. Some times we would find IEDs sitting on the ground right between Strykers. :rolleyes: When my Husky got blown up, my Platoon SGT had to ram a Stryker to get him to move out of the way so they could drag me and my vehicle out of the kill zone. Apparently the explosion and our sirens weren't loud enough to wake the crew up. :mad:

it's a deal. But I only sucker punch Stryker guys. I don't call them out and let 'em know what's up. I figure it's only fair that they get back a little of what they gave us.

15. willijdub

willijdub New Member

wow... sounds like you ate of the shit sandwich as well. :hsd:
    i didnt know you were route clearance.:o
    i always loved it when the rc teams had just gone down a road we were about to go down, or better yet, were in sight in front of us. it takes a lot longer driving behind rc, but its definitely worth the wait in my humble opinion.
    at least it made me feel safer.(though one rc guy i talked to said in 3 months theyd not disarmed a single ied, but had succeeded in having many detonate on them:sadwavey:) id rather be a cook/fueler than rc just from my experience. mad props to you.

16. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

[​IMG]

and second the stryker unit worthlessness. We got one company from 25th attached to us right now. Most worthless company ever.

17. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I've been out on convoys a few times to support and maintain commo equipment so the guys out at various sites and communicate back here. I play the hand I'm dealt.

Do I earn my combat patch now? :squint:

18. Abomb

Abomb New Member

so what is the stryker unit? how can they be so worthless with such an impressive name?

19. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Ranger cleared many a route that I traveled down in Iraq before I took my convoys out....for that I'm thankful....

If I ever meet up with Ranger, I owe him a few beers.

20. Julius

Julius Guest

it is what it is man. you have a right to throw your shit away or wear it.

21. Ranger-AO

Yeah, I can only imagine the frustration you guys would go through when you would come to a screaching halt behind a slow as fuck RC team. We had a max speed of 20KPH on our routes, and we would slow to a max of 5KPH in our target areas. That's mind-numbingly slow in anybodies book. :hs:

If we weren't on an active suspicious item interogation, we'd let other units barrel on around us. I hate to say it, but we considered them the best Rhino system ever deployed. :mamoru:

werd :mad:

Hey - I'm not the guy that's going to give you the rolly eyes thing. If you were in country and authorized to wear the combat patch, that's enough for me. Just know that some guys from that unit might look at you like you stole it if you go bragging about your time with so-and-so unit that you fell under while you were deployed. Especially if it's an Airborne unit. :coolugh:
    I don't know which unit was supposed to be providing overwatch for us. But it was during the April-May timeframe, so I figure any Stryker unit in Sadr City during that time is fair game.
    Hey - It's probably a moot point by now, but let me know if you want the Garmin streets and waypoints files/CDs. I spent a shitload of money to get the street map of Baghdad in digits, but I'll give 'em to you.

22. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

23. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

Yea my current company gets alot of shit for that. They all wear their 82nd Airborne combat patches from their last deployment. The company was detached from the battalion, sent across iraq and attached to 2-505 to be their tank support in samarra. These guys kind of adopted a fuck the Cav mentality for that and they were embraced by their 82nd counterparts. They conducted constant air assaults, patrol base ops, dismounted ops, and all sorts of things they weren't used to as tankers. I'd be proud of that too. I think BN makes my CO wear his Cav patch, but im pretty sure hes the only one that was with this company last deployment that does.

24. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

[​IMG] Also authorized to wear 1st Cav and 4th ID from my other two tours but I grew up in the 82nd, went to combat with the 82nd for the first time so that is all I wear....even though all the 1SGs and CSMs throw a pissy fit about it:mamoru:

25. x000000x

x000000x OT Supporter