MIL ARMY CREW: NCOERs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Does anybody here know about NCOERs? I'm trying to help out one of my NCOs who might be getting a raw deal. I've worked with this guy for several years and everybody is surprised by this. Here's my question:

Is this a legit NCO rating scheme? (he was the shop NCOIC)

Rater: Shop OIC (CW2)
    Senior Rater: Company Commander (CPT)
    Reviewer: Staff Officer (MAJ; who is not in the company, but overseas the shop)

I'm not an NCO, so I don't know much about these. What doesn't make sense to me is there are no other NCOs that rate him. Shouldn't the platoon sergeant for 1SG be in there? Is there anything in the regulations about this? Common sense won't apply here.

I'm not even sure where to start. He got a bad NCOER and many feel like he's being railroaded because he stood up for another soldier by filing an IG complaint.

Any insight would be appreciated. I hate to see this happen to a great NCO.

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

3. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

I can't really say who would be the rater in this situation. Usually with an NCO in a platoon they are rated by the PSG or PL and it goes to the 1SGT along with the CO afterward. I would assume in a shop the OIC is their rater, and whichever NCO is next up in the chain should have a part in the NCOER.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

5. JSin

JSin New Member

Negative, the Shop OIC is the rater and then it goes up. That looks identical to our shop NCOIC (MCS).