MIL Armed Forces Personnel...questions inside

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ls1norcal, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

My girlfriends little brother just signed his papers for the army 2 days ago. He just found out today that he is being sent to Missouri on the 25th of this month.

Is it normal to be sent off that quickly after signing papers? Hes doing Airborne Artillery btw.

Also, what exactly is Airborne Artillery? Im guessing its it has to do with jumping out of planes with guns? [​IMG] And what is the ratio of Marines to Army when getting sent out to war zones?

The last two questions her family are really worried about, because naturally the first thing for the uneducated is to assume is your son is being shipped out to Iraq.

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Holy shit lots of questions...I think in a day or so I'll move the thread over to "Teh Barracks" for more responses but for now I'll leave it be.

1) Is it normal? It depends on how eager he was to go and how much he let the recruiter decide the date.

2) Airborne Artillery means assignment within the 101st Abn or 82nd Airborne Divisions. There's other options with the Air Assault units but I'm thinking he's heading to FT Bragg. Airborne is merely a means to getting to your job...and guess what? In the modern army it's no different than any other kind.

3) Marines to Army? Not really relevant...Marines are pussing out and want to take over Afghanistan where they have a level of assured success versus the level of assured failure in Iraq.

4) He's combat arms now...and has every assurance of shipping out sometime between completion of basic training and one year later.

3. usmc96gt

usmc96gt New Member

haha are you serious. we take the bases then leave the army to secure them. which usually only last for a few months till they start to get attacked and we have to come back. so the army pretty much babysits the bases while we keep fighting.

4. MrRyan

Keep telling yourself that.

5. Daddy O

Daddy O Active Member

If he's going to Missouri, more than likely he will be doing basic training at Fort Leonard Wood. After that he will either go to Fort Campbell, KN - home of the 101st Airborne and the Army Air Assault school, or to Fort Bragg, NC for Airborne training with the 82nd. In either case, he's in good hands. I had the pleasure of serving as a LRRP (Long Range Recon) with the 75th Ranger Division of the 101 in Vietnam for two TDY's, and you couldn't find better men anywhere. Many are still life long friends.

Airborne artillery usually refers to small artillery assault, such as mortar fire, or shoulder fired missiles. Jump in close to position and start shelling with mortars, or utilize stingers to take down low flying aircraft.

Now then, as far as Marines "pussing out".....not hardly, they're not smart enough to puss out. Why do you think we call them "Jar Heads"?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  6. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

101st airborne is based at ft campbell, but ft campbell is located on the border of KY and TN actually spanning largely into both states because its a MASSIVE base.

7. MrRyan

- Stingers teams would be "Air Defense Artillery"
    - Motars are the responsibility of the 11 series

Otherwise he's getting assigned to one of the Fires Battalions within the Division or at the Corps Artillery Level (18th FA Bde - of which, I was once the Bde S-6) within that Bde, there was only one Abn Bn while the other three were two towed 155 BNs and 1 MLRS Bn. There was talk of re-shaping that layout and I'm not sure if that's happened yet or not.