GUN Armed citizen patrol in New Haven

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Jun 12, 2007.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

(New Haven-WTNH) _ One group armed with guns is ready to make their New Haven neighborhood a safer place by patrolling in the area around Edgewood Park.

The Edgewood Park Defense Patrol will be patrolling the 16-block area from Whalley to Edgewood and Winthrop to West Park. They believe that the police are not doing their part to keep the streets safe.

Their uniform is a black tee-shirt with Edgewood Park Defense Patrol and their mission is to keep peace on the streets with armed bike patrols.

"It's certainly not the substitute that one would want but when you're missing what you're supposed to have and things are slipping out of hand then you're left with no choice but to do something about it," said Eliezer Greer.

Members of Yeshiva New Haven decided to take matters into their own hands after Rabbi Dov Greer was physically assaulted Sunday night. They say they've been appealing to the city for years with no results and are tired of sitting by while the vandalism, robberies and muggings increased.

"Being home with our families in the evenings is what we'd rather be doing than having to ensure that there's safety and security in the neighborhood," said Aviad Hack.

They will be patrolling in pairs every night from 6-10 PM, with one person carrying a concealed gun.

"Anyone who patrols with a gun in an attempt to use it as a deterrent is putting themselves and other citizens at risk and I absolutely discourage it," said Mayor John DeStefano.

DeStefano says he has looked at the deployment levels in the Edgewood Park area and believes the police coverage is sufficient. News Channel 8 saw squad cars and officers walking the beat, but one man who is running for mayor, says he does not believe in vigilantism, but supports the residents move to protect their neighborhood.

"Perhaps it's time to look at contacting the Governor and asking the Governor to provide state police department's oversight in helping New Haven," said Jim Newton of New Haven.

The Defense Patrol says that they don't believe this will make them targets, rather it will wake up the neighborhood and encourage others to join in. They say they will continue the patrols as long as necessary.

Mayor=Democrat Idiot.

2. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Its good to see the actual residents stepping up in these neighborhoods. I think they may be making themselves targets though.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

How is patrolling your neighborhood jumping to vigilantism??? I mean they're not hunting someone, they're just keeping an eye out. I suppose having a gun near my bed might be vigilantism too...

4. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

What state is this?
    Oh, and rifle + sling = better deterrent than CCW

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I'm guessing Connecticut.

6. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

thats correct

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

but open carry scares the wimmenz :eek4:

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm thinking they should be more than pairs, but I guess it's better than nothing.

And they should BOTH be armed.

9. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Maybe in the real world, but in that area of the country, TWO people armed makes them CRIMINALS!! I mean that's just not necessary....

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Just wait for a little bit then commit the crime at 10:30 ftw?:hsughno:

11. Morelli

Morelli New Member

Armed citizens are the best crime deterrant...period. I love it. Love it.

12. Ark

Ark New Member

Its about time the citizens did something. I live not more then 20 minutes from there and you always hear about some kind of shooting or crime everyday. The Mayor is a joke and I hope this works.

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Don't know when Channel 8 was down there, but I've never seen a cop walking around Edgewood Park. Deployment levels aren't adequate anywhere in New Haven, it takes me no less than 20 min if I'm lucky enough to get a cop on scene for anything less than a shooting-in-progress.

And what they ought to be doing is putting the word that they're out there but blending in, not wearing an identifying shirt. Then everybody becomes a possible pair of armed vigilantes.

14. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I think this should happen everywhere. It is a version of an "armed militia" as described in 2A. Liberals couldnt bitch about it, since it would be to the letter of the law. Keep it organized (I'm thinking mandatory practice) so that part is fulfilled and they couldn't say anything about anyone who was in it's rights.

Plus then you are more ready for teh zombies.