TAT Arm Band ---> Half Sleeve

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by kramer, Dec 22, 2008.

1. kramer

kramer New Member

Okay, long story short, I was feeling really rebellious or something when I was 18 and I decided to get a tribal arm band. The artwork itself doesn't look bad at all, its a nice custom plain black piece.

However, now that I am older and realize I want more done on my arm than just that 4'' section, I've decided to extend it using a few more tribal patterns.

I went to my tattoo guy a few days ago to drop off some drawings and stuff for general ideas hoping that he could sketch me up something and if I like it I'd get it on my arm.

This is definitely going to be a really hard tattoo for him to draw up on paper, so he told me that he would rather just "jot" some stuff down and draw it physically on my arm with a sharpie the day I come in next time. I was a little hesitant to agree to this, as this is how my first tattoo was done that I partially regretted since I got it. Instead of transferring my drawing into a silkscreen majigger and putting that on my arm, he "more or less" drew it on my arm with a sharpie.

I regretted this because I didn't really take the time to really look at what he had drawn on my arm, I thought it would be kind of rude if I told him I didn't like it.

My question is: If I go in next time when he's finished my drawing and when he's done drawing what he thinks on my arm with a sharpie, would it be considered rude to possibly just leave with the ink from the sharpie on my arm and just see how I like it for a day or so? I'm not sure if he's going to charge me money to do this... that'd be a little weird if he did, but would not surprise me.

2. PanasonicYouth

PanasonicYouth New Member

I'd make it clear first off that you're going to do this.

It's not something that a tattoo artist would usually do I don't think, and you are taking up time that he could be doing work on somebody else, so he may well charge you...

3. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

I'm just throwing this out there, it's your body and you can do with it what you want, but...are you SURE you want more tribal work? There's no other imagery that interests you?

4. What is it about the tattoo you have now that you dislike?

Do you think adding MORE tribal will make you happy?

Tribal seems to be a decade old trend that most have come to regret since it has no meaning for 99% of people since, well, we're not from tribes.

Sounds like you might be trying to mask one problem by inevitably making another...

5. AF Rugby

AF Rugby Gun in my mouth, I pray for the sunshine

X2

6. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

That sounds pretty rude to me

7. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Most artists (unless you're good friends with them) won't let artwork just leave their shop.

Call him and explain you'd like to see a drawing beforehand to see if you'd like it.

8. kramer

kramer New Member

It's not that I dislike it, the artist who tattooed it on me did a very good job. And I drew it myself, so it has that aspect of personal creativity in it as well.

The only thing that I somewhat regret about it is the fact that it is just an arm band. I don't want to say that there's a stigma attached to people with an arm band tattoo, but the longer that I've had it, the more and more I've been embarrassed to tell people "oh, I have an arm band tattoo."

It would be kind of difficult to incorporate another design in with an already existing tribal one. I don't think they would mix well together at all. I do have other ideas for tattoos with personal meaning, but wanted to wait a while to get those. For now, I just wanted to extend this one so that I can be proud to show people my artwork.

Many people who get the Japanese fish-esque tattoos as sleeves don't have any personal meaning for them either, however they are colorful and they look very nice.

I don't know :dunno:

9. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Tattoos DON'T have to have any personal meaning to them at all. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

10. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

As long as you like it who cares?

11. AF Rugby

AF Rugby Gun in my mouth, I pray for the sunshine

im covered in shit that means nothing to me other then i like it :naughty:

12. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

Like Almighty said, tattoos don't have to have personal meaning. I got a Koi because I like what it symbolizes and I also love how they look.

Why not just get a cover up? I know you said you like your tribal design but like you said, I really can't think of anything that would connect to it very well.

I highly doubt they would let you take out their design on your arm. If I'm not mistaken, tattoo artists won't even let you take the design you paid for.

13. kramer

kramer New Member

That's kind of what I'm talking about. Part of it is getting covered up, but its only getting covered up with more of a tribal design. It's too big and too black to really get covered up with any other type of artwork... at least it seems that way to me.

But thanks for the help guys. I'll post some pics of before and after as soon as I get enough free time to do so.

14. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

thats a pretty gay request

15. kramer

kramer New Member

Not wanting to walk around for the rest of my life with something that a tattoo artist drew on my arm at a moments notice is not a gay request. Go fuck yourself.