MIL Arifjan

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Robb, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Going to Arifjan in April, is there anything I should know about it? How is the internet there for the permanent party and things I should get while I'm there. Or just any little FYI.

2. armond

armond New Member

Was there as a federal contractor, pretty nice base there.

They have Internet Cafe's, and I think most people who stayed on base had no issue getting internet for themselves. Wataniya and MTC are the two main phone/internet companies there. No point in buying anything from the base at the bazaar, overpriced, plus it is not from Kuwait(from Pakistan and China...). Kuwait makes nothing worthy to note, or worth buying. Get some pics of camels, camel spiders, etc. If you can get to the coast somehow, take a pic off of there.

I think MWR arranges trips for military into Kuwait City. Take that chance, check out their Independence tower(whatever it is called) and eat a good dinner/lunch. Try some Lebanese food. Good stuff.

Other than that, enjoy the fact that you are in a pretty safe place. There are 2 Main B/Xs and a smaller B/X. Some pools, plenty of fast food places to eat. Don't worry, you won't starve. Any other questions, just msg me or something. I check this part Teh Barracks about once or twice a day.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

I am not going to be in a safe area since I am an 88m. I will hardly ever be on the base unless I am sleeping

4. armond

armond New Member

Oh I see, your post was a little vague I had no clue of your current situation. You did not say whether you were already deployed or that Arifjan was just a stop. Ok, an 88M, give me a break, I have no exact clue what it is. A little insight?

But all I know that is in Kuwait, you are "safe" compared to Iraq/Afghanistan. I lived on the economy for a year.

Not EVERYONE here is military, some of us are hopefuls and whatnot. :cool:

5. Mangos

Mangos New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2008
  6. armond

armond New Member

Now I know what you mean. Driving to Iraq and all correct? Well be safe, and be wary, Kuwaitis drive like crap.

7. Ryan Christian

Ryan Christian Member

Don't forget about the swimming pool near the Taco Bell vendor. And I believe the Independence tower is called the Kuwaiti Towers. It was pretty awesome. You definitely will not starve. The Oasis (D-FAC) is like a first class diner compared to other ASG-Kuwait camps. Silverware and actual plates to boot. Enjoy.

BTW, I was up the road at Camp Virginia.

8. armond

armond New Member

Ya, the Oasis, great food for a D-FAC. They serve lobster and steaks every wednesday I think it was. :bowdown: I haven't been there since sometime in September of last year.

9. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

the base is nice, good food, good showers and sinks and shitters, so you can bring all your regular bathroom shit, wifi internet in the fucking barracks is pretty nice, 35$ a month, have to buy cards from a card machine that dies alot but can buy like 4 at once and have enough for the whole time...uhhhh....gyms are nice...px's are pretty well stocked with everything you should need....its almost too nice to be called 'deployment'

10. armond

armond New Member

Oh hi there, I see you are in Kuwait. Aren't the drivers horrible?

11. Robb

Robb Guest

anymore information on how the internet worksexactly

12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

there are wireless points in all the living areas , you buy a card, connect to the network, open browser and it takes you to a login page, you type in the numbers, and you go to www.offtopic.com :wavey::noes:

13. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

shmaybe :noes:

14. armond

armond New Member

LOL well they were when I was there. Almost died a few times from idiotic drivers. Saw more deaths from fatal car accidents there in 1 year than the rest of my life!

15. Ryan Christian

Ryan Christian Member

They're horrible drivers. I saw a car wrapped around a light pole on top of a jersey barrier type. Granted it was a picture, but damn!

16. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

id classify them more as careless

17. armond

armond New Member

I agree, careless, but then half of them are so friggin spoiled, 12-15 year olds driving cars because their parents have "wasta." Buncha bullshit. They kill people because of their incapability to drive. A lot of them don't even have a license, but when they get pulled over, they pull the "do you know who my parents are?"

Careless, uneducated, and overall just pampered = crappy drivers.

I saw one guy totally ignore a stop sign, mind you this stop sign was there forever. He ignores it, crosses 4 lanes of traffic, then slams into my supervisor... This was right before work. So then my supervisor ends up in the hospital, it was 50/50 whether he was paralyzed from the neck down. He turned out for the better, but still, buncha crap. Also, accidents get worse around Ramadan, so beware! They go without food for a day, then they get crazy and delirious. I understand they haven't eaten all day because of fasting, so just be careful around that time(usually around September/October).

18. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

havent seen any kids driving yet or heard about it even but that is :noes::noes::noes:
    little bastards...i probly wont be here for long anyway