GUN Arguing about cost savings of reloading over factory ammo.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Sep 11, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

:hsugh:

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If you are reloading (especially pistol rounds, especially 9mm) to save money, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons. He has a valid point, in that strictly to "save" money, you will have to shoot 4400 rds before you start reaping rewards. That's a lot for some people, and I'd bet a fair probability of shooters pondering the "should I get into reloading" questions probably don't shoot that much in several years.

For them, I could see the argument. When you do care about what kinda ammo you are feeding your gun, and you start shooting a bunch, then reloading makes a whole lot more sense, as are you certainly saving money over "good" ammo, and generally having better ammo that is tailored to your pistol.

With rifles, I consider it near necessary.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

The original post said he wanted to save money in the long run. I guess it just depends on how much the person shoots.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sounds like a time wasting e-peen battle but....

the casual shooter doesn't need a $400 press and $150 worth of mystery equipment. $130 or so would get them a very respectable lee turret with powder measure and primer feed. 1k once fire 9mm is say $40 shipped and gets lets say 6 loads before you lose it. Thats a cost of about $.70 per hundred rounds over its life time. If you don't include reloading your brass, you're cheating. He also says that buying in bulk will get you 9mm cheaper than $19 per 100. We all know that wwb is about as cheap as you get after you have other stuff shipped in.

If you go to walmart and buy a pack of wwb every 3 months, no realoading will probably be a waste. If you shoot even a little bit though you'll probably find savings in relatively short periods of time provided you don't get stupid with the equipment purchases.

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I would suggest comparing a bullet of comparable quality to the reload and not the cheapest ammo one could find.

Also paying for brass is kind of ridiculous as you can reuse anything you have and you can usually pick up free stuff at the range.