Argh.. Hard drive issues..HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Not sure what the problem is..

I was having problems with my old motherboard (Asus P4S8X). It was dying, slowly. I replaced with a gigabyte motherboard. All the other hardware parts are the same.

I installed the new board without issue. Setup the hard drives the same. I unplugged my backup HDD (80gb with two partitions that I keep my all produced music, all my documents for work, and every digital photo I've ever taken for the past 6 years, including all vacations, family events, my wedding, etc) plus one or two VMWare systems. I wanted to make sure I didn't format the wrong drive! :mamoru: Little info: The backup drive is hooked up to an IDE expansion card.

I formatted the drive that is to be used as the main C drive, and installed a fresh copy of windows xp. After complete, I powered down and plugged in the backup drive. When I reboot, I get the dreadful "The missing or cannot find hal.dll, \windows\system32\hal.dll". and the system reboots. If I unplug the backup drive, the machine boots up just fine.

Sooooo.. wtf? Seriously? I CAN NOT LOSE what is on this drive, but I can't access the machine when it's hooked up. Help. :cry:

I'm thinking of going and getting an external IDE hard drive/usb case that is plug and play and hooking it up that way.. but seems like a temporary solution to a weird problem..

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

this is a new one to me... but i found this.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

i do not know if it is of any real use or is helpful... but its worth a shot. is your backup HDD strictly storage? or could it does it have remnants of a boot record? would it be possible that your bios is trying to boot from the backup HDD before the true primary HDD, and finding something weird, and freaking out?

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, sounds like the machine was trying to boot up off of your backup drive.

Do you have a backup of your backup? :big grin:

4. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

get an external enclosure, copy/back up your data (if you can) then RMA or throw away that drive... it's only going to die on ya in the future.

5. DatacomGuy

I tried that last night (google > *) but to no avail.

I think maybe it is finding something and trying to boot to it, and that's why the problem. Just don't remember what's on there or what it's been used for other then storage.

I hope I don't lose what's on there. My last backup (If I can even find it) is like a year old. :cry:

I bought the external usb case.. I'll try that tonight..

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

the USB case might work... cuz most bios dont boot from usb (unless explicitly told to). i didnt look up the specs on your new mobo, so i know i'm only doing a half-assed help job, but eh, sorry.

its weird that you didnt have this problem before tho. i'm assuming you had this backup HDD plugged in and would have rebooted the computer earlier? i mean, before your reinstall of XP.

as much as it sucks, did you do another fresh install of XP?

also, do you have another computer you can bring up the backup HDD on, as a secondary (obviously) and just go looking around and see if you can find anything that might make the bios or windows think its a boot drive? i might try that too... if you havent already.

7. chips

chips ...

boot to the recovery consol
    chkdsk /r
    then
    run bootcfg /rebuild

that fix it if the HD is not dead
    You can try the bootcfg rebuild with out the chkdsk

8. DatacomGuy

I tried the bootcfg rebuild.. didn't work.

For the record, I installed the USB case and all is well. I've booted with it in and all my shiznitt is still there.

Weiiiiiiiirrdddd problem. Still don't know the cause, there wasn't anything on the drive that it could have attempted to boot to.. so :dunno:

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

something weird that got fubar'd with the IDE expansion card during the reinstallation possibly?

at least your data is ok... but i'm still really wonderin whats goin on. you said it best...
    :dunno:

10. DatacomGuy

That's kind of what I was thinking.. something wrong with the card.. whether or not I zapped it or something? :dunno:

11. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

did the card require drivers when it was first installed? if so, did you install them after the fresh XP install again?

12. DatacomGuy

Yes, and yes..

13. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

damn dude... you just blew that card up then. i dunno :dunno:

:dunno: is the smiley that best describes this thread, and the problem you are having. lol.

14. DatacomGuy

No doubt.. at least I had a solution!

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Are you sure that your computer isn't trying to boot off the old HDD when you plug it in?

Are you sure you have the Master/Slave settings on both HDDs right?

That's all the help I have at the moment.