argggg someone point me in the right directions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sirius, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

Hey guys, i've been using a receiver for some time now, and had it on 2 channel mode in my room for a while. I got some bookshelf speakers from a friend, and put up the center one and it worked fine.
    I finally mounted the back two, but I cant seem to get audio through either of them. I'm playing wires and settings and shit and I cant get my head around it all. I don't know which outputs support 5.1 or if the audio in is all in the right order. Blah.

What I need is to learn what to look for and where to ask the specific questions. YES I'm a noob at this, YES i've got no AV, and NO i don't have pictures yet. :greddy:

Where can I go to find this? I can't find the instruction manual (pioneer VSX-0514 reciever) or find one online. Sigh, I was excited for 5 channel sound.

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

3. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

yeah, I misread the number. Ugh.

Anyways, i've got my TV audio output running to my receiver, and my dvd/vhs/game cube running to the TV. I've got the TV plugged into the slot that is called the "5.1 Channel" It seems like the two rear channels are not "activated" and arent putting out audio. I can hear fuzz if I turn it up loud enough, but not actual audio. I didn't feel like running all my electronics through the receiver, so I just did it through the TV. Thats probably my whole problem. Maybe it has something to do with th TV being plugged into the 5.1 channel and using the quick set-up and entering 5.0 channels. (no sub)

I don't know what the fuck i'm doing. I figured it was plug/play for the most part. I'll take a look at this manual, thanks for the link.

4. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

ok, updated question. I dont think I have the digital hook ups correctly for the 5 channel sound. My question is, can I play sound through all 5 speakers withouth it being true surround? I have the TV audio out going to the yellow/white plugs in the back of the receiver. Do they have to be in a specific area (I.E. DVD 5 channel, CD) to work correctly? I understand my set up is not optimum, I just wanted to hook up the rear speakers to "fill" the room with more sound. Now that i've got what I need, its frustrating not having it work as easily as I thought it would.

5. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

alright, another update.
    all 5 speakers work on the "CD" channel (i've got my mp3 player and one of those headphone->red/yellow connectors.)

The rear speakers still didnt produce sound on the other channels with the TV audio plugged into them. I pressed a button to test tones on each channel, and all 5 worked. Problem is, I got NO audio at all from the TV after that. I don't know what I did. The CD channel still works and the ipod connection too, but the TV audio will not play through on any channel.

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

You need to hook up the receiver with a digital cable such as an optical or a digital coax. This will give you true 5.1 digital surround sound.

If you hook up the receiver with 2 channel rca cables you only get stereo sound. What you can do though is turn the receiver to 5 channel stereo which puts out the same sounds to the rear as the fronts. You an also set it up in a PLII mode which will take a stereo signal and the receiver will convert it to a 5.1 signal.

7. Kieffer87

Hook everything to the receiver. Use the monitor output to go to one of your video inputs on the tv. This uses the Receiver to control everything and all your components will be on the 5.1 system. Like amill94 said if you don't have a true 5.1 signal coming to the receiver then its probably not going to sound right. Most movies will be fine but music and some games will not be encoded for 5.1 sound. Your receiver can attempt to convert it to 5.1 but in most cases it sounds better to leave it in 2ch imo.

For your tv sound you may need to set an option on your tv menu to output sound to the "output" rather than the speakers on the tv. Also you should have a red and white connection on the back of your tv for "stereo" if you only have a white output I'm guessing your tv only has 1 speaker and this may not really work out the best for you. Easiest thing to do would be look in the manual for your receiver most of the time they have a detailed diagram for every component.

It should also not matter which input you use on the reciever.

8. Kieffer87

Actually after just reading your post do not use the 5.1 channel. That is set up for a true 5.1 channel input which you do not have. Try using a different input and see if that works. Also hook everything to the receiver like I said it will make life alot easier once you get it setup ;)

9. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

thanks guys!
    I got it mostly figured out last night by playing with some settings. You guys are obviously correct, I do not have true 5.1 sound. Piecing the system together has created a bit of an abomination. I've got to dump just a tiny bit more cash into it in order to get the right plugs and such. the rear channels are working now, and I can notice a bit of a difference in the room. The TV does have a red and white connection, and two speakers by the way.

Its not the best, but it's a college townhouse and I suppose it will do for now. I played the D-Day scene from Saving Private Ryan and I liked what I heard. Too bad it wasn't true surround sound.

Thanks for the info again guys.