SRS Are you working your program to the best of your ability?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by eligh, Mar 3, 2005.

1. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I wasn't really working my program to the best of my ability nearly the entire quarter, and before that some (last 2-4 months at least).

I thought I was, I didn't really think much about it, I kept going to the 2 meetings a week I had commitments at, slowly trudged along with my steps, called my sponsor occasionally or saw him at a meeting, and prayed maybe every once and a while at best. I justified my low meeting attendance by the fact that I needed to study. The fact was I was studying even less than I had been before because I felt like crap most of the time. I began to isolate, vegetate on the television (movies, basketball, Seinfeld, that's 70's show, you name it), play basketball (it's an obsession of mine) and eat ice cream. Little did I realize that recovery was slowly slipping away from me, and I was continuing to slide downhill. I began to fear social situations again, and avoid phone calls, and sleep through entire days occasionally.

Luckily, I had a couple of commitments at meetings, a personal commitment to this forum, and enough stepwork behind me to stay clean. I had enough recovery in the bank to realize that using would only make my problems worse. Luckily someone said something profound on Sunday night, and I've been to a meeting every night since. Not only do I feel a million times better, it feels like I have more energy and time in the day. Nothing has changed outside of me (I still semi-suck at school, suck with woman, and I'm still semi-broke), but the quality of my life has dramatically improved in just a few days because I decided to work my program again. I'm getting spiritually in shape once again, and it feels good.

Just a friendly reminder, if you're feeling numb and kind of ho-hum about life (like I was), try cranking up the speed of your program. Add a few more meetings, pray 5 minutes longer, call your sponsor more often, or work that step you've been meaning to work. You never know what might happen, I sure didn't expect to feel like this.

Are you reaping the benefits of working a solid program?

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

No, and I never will. There is always room for improvement, I feel.

3. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I don't understand recovery, It sounds like just when you are about to be comfortable with your life, like start to be like a regular person, living life and not spending all your time in church basements, then you have to freak out and start obessessing about meetings and programs and stuff. I think people that believe in the disease model get trapped in a permanent loop where whenever they start feeling good about life they have to question it and start hammering on the meetings and the bible and all that.
    I want to improve my life and not party all the time, but could someone explain to me how "recovery" is any better than simply quitting or cutting back or whatever?

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Go to a meeting and ask a recovering addict. Actually, ask a few, an in person explanation is far better than whatever I could say over the Internet. 12-step recovery has nothing to do with religion. Not only that, the program of AA, NA, and CA are in the literature and the steps.

The 12 steps are "the program," meetings are simply a way to fellowship with other addicts and share ideas. It's not a requirement to attend meetings in order to work a program, it's just something that a lot of addicts/alcoholics find beneficial to their lives. It allows you listen to how others have struggled through problems in their lives clean, problems you might have to face one day. The best way to understand what recovery is about is to experience it, try working the steps. Essentially they act as a mirror, allowing you to see your life in a different perspective. It enables you to make positive changes in your life, and increases your chances of staying clean.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Whats step 3?

So, they're ADDICTED to the "recovery" loop? Again, you're presupposing that these people are not prone to addiction, but then you claim they get "trapped in a permanent loop" which sounds like an addiction.

Furthermore, the bible isn't used in AA meetings, toolshed. They use the "big book" of alcoholics anonymous.

And, to answer your final question, you should try actually working a program and seeing what you think for yourself.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005