MIL Are you allowed to own guns on on base housing

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Ripper, Nov 13, 2009.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I recently got married and my wife is active duty air force. We moved into on base housing and I own a couple of hand guns because I enjoy shooting and for home intrusion. Am I allowed to own fire arms on base?

2. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I have heard conflicting answers. I have heard that you can own firearms and keep them in your on post house. I have also heard that you can own them, but they must be stored in the unit arms room. May be different for Air Force though.

4. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Dependent on local laws, state laws and Post Commander discretion.

5. evan2

evan2 Guest

I think you have to store them in the base armory, go call the LE desk at your base.

6. kazimer

kazimer New Member

:werd:
    ask your local Military police station, they should be able to point you in the right direction

besides home intrusions dont happen on base housing :hsugh:

7. kazimer

kazimer New Member

really?
    are those statistics readily available for those that ask?
    i am thinking about moving into base housing for my next PCS, going to hawaii and it seems i would get the best bang for my buck living on post but want to be sure im not around a bunch of hooligans :o

8. evan2

evan2 Guest

It is mostly domestic disputes, I lived in Base Housing when I was in England and it was great but the base was small so everyone knew each other anyways. One couple always fought and you could hear them but nothing major.

I would live on base in Hawaii as living off base is fucking costly.

9. kazimer

kazimer New Member

:cool:
    i can deal with the domestic dispute stuff and arguing couples. nothing different from living in apartment buildings i guess.

how was england? im sure living there was costly as fuck, probably worse than hawaii?

I was looking at places online and central A/C doesnt come standard in many places on Hawaii, WTF?!

10. evan2

evan2 Guest

I do not think its hot enough there maybe...Leave the windows open. England did not have central air either which only sucked for one summer.

England was costly but the Cola was nuts plus all the extra money you get.

I was married when I got there so lived downtown in a 4bedroom house which isnt all that big since its british.
    Then moved into Base Housing, got divorced so I got a 2 bedroom townhome right outside the base.

I actually made money living there.

England was great but I was ready to come back to the states, I lived in a real small town type of village and everything was a bit of a drive and not all that great.

Beautiful country though.

11. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

pics of wife?

12. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I am hoping to make money while living there too, especially with COLA added in. I just looked up the UK and holy crap the COLA is ridiculous.

It is kind of enticing to live off post in a medium cost area and pocket the BAH difference..i would make almost $3.1K in just BAH and COLA alone :o

13. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Hawaii is gastly expensive, housing allowance usually doesn't come close to covering rent. Most of the time you don't need A/C, the Trade Winds take care of that........for the most part.

K-Bay in the 90's; You had to "register" your weapons but you could have them in housing. I heard some places require you to have trigger locks/safety devices if you have children in your home (ie: bring weapons w/locks on them when registering them)

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

you never know, some of these kids on base creep me out. I heard from one of my neighbors when he was stationed in florida one of the enlisted members kids was breaking into cars and shit because he was on crack or some shit. A lot of people on base have their guards down. My neighbor told me the other day he doesnt really lock his doors.

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

I never locked my front door when I lived in florida and if car was on base I rarely locked my car doors.

Kazimer you do not get BAH with oconus housing, you get OHA (over seas housing allowance)
    Basically you have a cap and if your rent is more you pay out of pocket, if it is less then you do not get the difference.

Some people try to work it out with a landlord to charge extra to hit the cap and you have them pay your cable bill or something.

In the UK I also got a utility allowance which was like 547 american a month which rocked, granted the rate was nearly 2:1 back then I still make money.

My cola was also 1000 a month and I had a british gf who paid for most stuff off base as she knew the conversion raped me.

The Cola went down a lot actually from what I hear as the pound is not as strong.

One of my troops just left Hickam and is now here so he knows all about the money over there if you wanted more info.

I assume the ARMY runs housing like I spoke of the same as the AF.

16. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

YES! You can. They only have to be stored in unit arms room if you are living in barracks.

If you have a house on post housing you are allowed to have as many firearms as you want (as long as you register them at the MP station).

/thread.

17. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I would love to receive OHA instead of COLA, i would make mad bank

From what I am starting to hear, it probably a better quality of life to live on post. oddly enough i never used to lock my doors when i lived in barracks in korea nor my car at Ft Benning...for some reason i wont leave my car unlocked at Ft Gordon :o

18. evan2

evan2 Guest

NO NO NO...

You get OHA and COLA, OHA is your housing allowance so you do not get BAH.

You still get BAS, COLA, OHA and you might get a utility stippend like I did in the uk.

My tv tax, road tax and such was paid for yearly too. I paid and then got a refund from the govt.

19. kazimer

kazimer New Member

:uh:
    im an idiot
    i was supposed to say would love to get OHA + COLA instead of BAH

either way sounds like a sweet deal...hopefully i wont end up in the slums if i choose to live off base and make bank

20. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

Shit. I was looking forward to living on base. Ugh. Is it all that bad, or just based on base?

21. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I had good experience on base housing. I wouldn't move back unless they cut my grass for me. I like my grass tall, but evenly trimmed - base housing does not.

22. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

I got tired of paying 1600 for my 3 bedroom duplex, and an E5 living in the same house across post paying 800-1000.
    Plus privatized housing is such a fucking scam and fraud waste and abuse.

23. kazimer

kazimer New Member

holy crap that sucks...crappy worthless neighbors FTL, shitty SPs FTL
    this dampens everything

:rofl: same here

they dont cut the grass for you?
    can you rent/borrow mowers on base?...i left my mower in my house that is now my rental property

24. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Mine wasn't privatized, so I can't comment. Where I am now though the people on post seem to like it.

25. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

Hope privatized housing is better than privatized dorms on campus. Shit blows horribly.