MMA Are you a poser?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by checkii, Jul 18, 2007.

1. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Just read a post from someone and figured i'd throw it out there.

I see people with tapout shit on their cars everywhere, tapout shirts everywhere, etc...

I just train in MT and have rolled in bjj a little, but nothing i consider training. I personally wont even wear any of my fairtex shirts to the gym cause i think I suck too much to sport them.

Main reason I am asking is cause I want to roll a lot more and I am sick of walking to and from my car in thai shorts, so I was gonna just start wearing grapple shorts to MT, is that kind of poser?

P.S. does anyone else find it really ironic that the drunk douche's wearing Tapout gear boo when the fight goes to the ground? :mamoru:

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

why dont you spend equal time training both checkii?

3. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

You must have read my post about being a poser....LAWLS

I feel like one...I do occasionally wear my Throwdown or Tapout shirt and no I dont train... :(

Martial Arts wise I have in the past but no MMA based training. I have done Karate(when a tike..lol), Kung Fu San Soo, Kali/Eskrima - Phillipino Stick Fighting, and some JKD.....

I also wrestled in high school but I would really like to take some BJJ and basic boxing or Muay Thai.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

no, cause i train, and i dont wear any clothes that have any affiliation with any mma type of organization.

5. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I don't have any type of that clothing.

I did see some lard ass woman wearing a full contact fighter sweatshirt that should have really said full contact eater.

6. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

If affliction shirts weren't so expensive i would have bought one by now.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I buy 10$ workout pants and wear a wife beater or an undershirt to training.

After I saw the guys who own Tapout on their reality show I vowed to never wear their clothing line.

8. RMarks

RMarks New Member

So affliction shirts are poser shirts? Well fuck I was about to buy a bunch :wtc:

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

flexibility issues. Last time I rolled with out bjj guys i tore my groin and was out for a long while. and it was horribly painful, i spend an hour stretching everyday and will hopefully be good to roll again.

also, i feel like a shmuck, i really dont knwo what i am doing, so even the warmup drills i dont know what i am doing and the bjj coaches are a lot less helpful than the MT ones. :( :dunno:

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

yeah, and growing up i always sakted and snowboarded and thought it was weird that people wore skate clothes and didnt skate, it makes no sense to me. I am one of those people that if i enjoy something i dont watch it, i participate in it.

11. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Nup I dont own any MMA related clothing although I do want a Fedor shirt that wouldnt really be posing becuase there would be like 4 people in Australia who know who he was.

12. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i have a shooto shirt.. i think thats the only mma clothing i have.

i HATE people with all the tapout crap all over everything.. soooo poserish

13. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

theres some GREAT bjj schools in san diego. find a better school.

14. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I own a chute box shirt, but I'd like to think it's a matter of supporting the chute box guys and the sport. I like it, but I don't feel like a poser. Maybe it's because I live in iowa and no one who knows anything would believe I've trained in brazil. Although there was this one guy at our local hooters during a ppv that gave me mad fat props for it, then said he had one too and Wanderlei gave it to him when he was training in brazil.
    I was like oh... no I got this from brazil, via the internet.

15. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

I wear my gym brand shirt every once in a while but thats it. I may pick up a couple affliction shirts though.

16. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I have a few shirts from the tournaments my school has put on and I've either worked or competed in. I've also got a "school shirt" that I wear to their our events. Other than those, no, I don't have any tap-out or anything like that clothing.

17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm wearing my Eric Paulson shirt at work right now. :coold:

18. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I always find it funny that "hardcore mma fans" always consider anyone who wears mma related clothing but doesn't fight to be a poser. Why is it OK for someone to wear a jersey/shirt of their favorite nfl team/player, nascar driver, nba start, etc etc.... but if they buy a shirt to support mma/their favorite fighter, then they are a POSER?? These clothing companies pay the fighters big $$, so why not support them??

I think the affliction shirts are pretty cool, albeit I won't pay $50 for one... I'm thinking of buying the Rampage Throwdown shirt since I'm a big 'Page fan.... Does that make me a poser??

19. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

Would anyone be interested in an "MMA Poser" t shirt?

20. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

I'm surprised there isn't one already, I'll add it to my list....not to hijack the thread so.................I think that anyone should be able to wear tapout or whatever mma clothing even if they don't train/fight. You can just be a fan of the sport. Now if you don't train/fight, wear mma clothing and tell people you're the universal pro mma champion, you may be suspect.

21. Bausk

Bausk New Member

:mamoru: :wavey:

22. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

naw, i have a fantastic school here, I just hate being the new guy, and knwo how much it sucks when i get stuck with the new guy in MT, i dont want to be him.

i'm gonna give it a shot though, a buddy of mine who trains with both groups hurt his knee but when he comes back I might just ask if i can roll with him for my first few weeks.

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I dont know, does it? I was just askign a simple question. I personally feel like a poser and think most people I see wearing tapout stuff are posers. They are typically the guy you overhear at the bar talkign about how they are a cage fighter and how they know *insert name drop here*.

24. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i've noticed that the guys wearing tapout and ufc shirts tend to be those kind of guys, where as the guys who wear small gym clothes, or lets say Chute Boxe or Koral tend to be a lot less yappy.

25. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

im kind of :ugh: that people beyond highschool still worry about being a poser.

wear them because they're convenient, because you like them or whatever other advantage they would have. If not wear something else and tapout is just like any other brand, how is that any different from the kids wearing hollister who never go to the beach or nike and dont play any sport. (weak examples? eh whatever)