Are we wired to cheat on our mates?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by guiltybystand3r, Mar 19, 2008.

1. guiltybystand3r

guiltybystand3r On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for e

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23706832/

Just wanted to see what the Vag's opinion was on this? Its sure to spark quite the discussion.

2. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

"Man" refers to both sexes in this context.

I know some people choose not to cheat.

However, I believe we all have the desire at one time or another.

3. kiri

kiri New Member

yeah, but we're wired to do a lot of things. freud said we have subconscious desires for incest and murder as well, but we supress them. bottom line is, whether we're wired for it or not, it's wrong.

4. NCS

NCS Active Member

not reading the article because ive read various sources. yes we are wired to cheat. there's quite a few studies that both men aand women prefer one main partner and to stray every now and then.

5. Exiled

Exiled New Member

It was odd, I always knew that girls cheated and i've had opportunities and not done it.. in the past and present.. the urge is there just because of that sexual thing but your intelligence takes over, it's kind've like a primal instinct yes.. but thankfully some people are intelligent heh..

6. Vysion

Vysion New Member

WTF is a
    ?

7. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Worms to humans is a rather weak comparison, I would be very weary of rhetorical media head lines.

I don't believe we are "WIRED" to cheat no, the concept is entirely theoretical anyways, 'cheating' 'monogamy' etc... Birds for instance usually mate for life, Parrots, Penguins etc...

We tend to do this as well, however our relationships are much more complex and so are our lives.

The world isn't black and white, and saying are we wired to cheat is presuming and supposing a lot of false ideas about being human.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Hmm, what do you think about the subject OP?

9. iwishyouwerebeer

:rofl: When I first saw the thread title and then his name I went "WHAT THE FUCK!"

10. M.E.

M.E. New Member

yes we are wired to cheat...saying we are not is basically saying you find no other person in the world sexually attractive then the person you are seeing.

now the level to which the person puts in effort to acquire multiple people they find attractive is based on the individual.

11. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

none of those are monogamous

they may have a mate, but they all cheat when they have the chance

12. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

remember that we are the ones who made up the word 'cheat' and we are the ones who decided that it was 'bad' and 'wrong'.

when it comes to simply passing on your genes which is what this article is talking about- if i've got a mate and then see anther one thats BETTER, WHY NOT mate with him too??? i would get a better pair of genes for my offspring. if a guy is not limited to how many offspring he can have, WHY NOT mate with many females to increase your success with # of possible offspring?? it makes sense if you stop thinking about right or wrong. animals do whatever it takes to increase their reproductive success at the lowest cost. basic biology

13. M.E.

M.E. New Member

:bigthumb: biology of sex 101, dont get cuckolded.

14. M.E.

M.E. New Member

yeah, that concept was solid until money was invented.

15. Ritley

Ritley New Member

16. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:hsugh: great then we will have 11tybillion people living on the planet, and with limited resources to sustain it.

possibly staying with one partner is a form of population control? just an idea i'm throwing out.

17. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

where in the post did i say its a good idea to have a ton of babies? i'm just pointing out that this behavior is normal and common sense in terms of animals trying to pass on their genes. depending on the situation and environment, the way they do this (polygyny, monogamy, etc) will change to increase their success

18. toroweedeater1

toroweedeater1 New Member

human beings also have reasoning...."if a worm cheats and fucks all the other worms, why can't I." How about cause there ain't a lot of fish big enough to eat you and you life span is longer than a football game:fawk:. If you believe humans, as a species, are as evolved as a flatworm and have the intelligence of a flatworm....then you have found the perfect excuse and should take this article as law and never procreate :rofl:

19. iwishyouwerebeer

Nah, I mean I'll let him come in here and speak for himself, but I know my bf and his views. I mean I'm sure we both agree the temptations are always out there, but we both feel strongly against it cheating on someone you love. If you want to cheat, dump your SO first.

He just loves reading news articles all day and I know he saw this one and thought it would fit in here, he does it quite often.

20. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

We're wired to be able to use our brains to make intelligent decisions.

21. iwishyouwerebeer

I completely agree. I can't agree with the concept that we are "wired" to cheat. The chances can always be there, but we are wired and intelligent enough (hopefully) to make choices.

22. iwishyouwerebeer

Oh :mamoru: No, he was at work as am I.

23. owenstar

owenstar New Member

We are all wired differently even though its the same...

Dont you think that some people are wired more toward the animalistic side? And then the others towards the reasoning side?

Take addiction for example....Some people have an addictive personality, while they may want to stop using "xXx" its almost impossible no matter how hard they try....And most logical rational people say something silly like "just stop, thats what I would do".....

Could monogomy be the same thing???

While I am of the general belief that most things are made up to be excuses for breaking the rules...this actually seems like it has some legs to stand on

24. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I think that in a perfect world both men and women can have multiple partners that can take care of every one of our needs. Life is the ultimate joy ride. Why have such a plain existence with just one partner? I think that eventually people will spiritually evolve to the point where this is possible. For now, there's too much insecurity and jealousy to make this work.

25. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Exactly. Human beings are NOT 'animals' in the sense that we are subject to our drives and desires. We have the unique ability to discern based on past experience, the experience of others, research, whatever. The fact that *some* people are wired to cheat, abuse, etc. by their upbringing and all that is another matter.

When asked whether or not I'd cheat if my life depended on it I actually had to have a yes extracted from me by the forum (and then only because i couldn't be there for my wife if dead). Baring that angle, I'd rather die...the entire concept makes me ill. If I'm the only man in here that feels that way we're in a bad way as a society, race, etc.