are those readouts on cardio equipment accurate?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by about:blank, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

Take epilliptical for example, you put in your weight and off you go. After you're done it tells you that 500 cal's have been burned.

Is that accurate or completely false?

2. about:blank

While we're on the subject of cardio, say I started to lose weight about 3 weeks ago I set a modest goal, 215 to 205 in 4 weeks. I'm still at 210 to 213 even though my diet is pretty clean, caloric intake is low (2200 to 2500), work out regularly and cardio for at least 30 to 40 minutes 3 to 4 times a week... Not budging below 210, getting kind of discouraged :hs:

Making some nice gains in lifts though, bench is already up by 20lb. I am going to make an ass out of me and state that fat is being displaced by muscle?

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

not accurate to the first post, yes to the second - you are getting noob gains (building muscle while losing fat)... don't worry about the scale, worry about the mirror

4. Accord

Accord New Member

2,500 calories and you're only 210 pounds? That's a lot for someone trying to lose weight, even 2,200 is not low enough for someone who weighs 210 and is trying to lose weight.

You should be eating no more than 2,100 calories per day and even that's pushing it... and the fact that your diet yields a difference of 300 calories on a regular basis shows that you're not consistent. 300 calories is almost an entire extra meal, when you're trying to lose weight you can't afford that. If you're 6'5" and 210 and trying to lose weight that's not too bad, but if you're like 5'10" and 210 you really need to be more strict with your diet, when your diet is perfect you'll begin seeing results in as little as a few days.

5. slikna

slikna Grenade

Actually, that really depends a lot on how much of his weight is muscle, and how much is fat. Also his height. I am 6'4" and currently bulking im about 220 now. My maitnence calories are probably over 3000 calories. So I could easily be able to lose weight by eating 2500 or even more calories. So you cant really say that 2,500 is too many calories to lose weight. Even he could probably lose weight on 2,500 calories. Really depends. Just adjust the calorie intake when you notice that you're not dropping weight anymore. You dont want to just jump into low calories or you will lose a lot of muscle mass.

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Meh. 10-12 calories a pound for cutting, 210 pounds, 2500 is around there. Depends on his activity level. He'll have to evaluate and readjust; height doesn't mean jack when it comes to setting your caloric values.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Of course it doesn't mean jack, but there is a huge difference between someone who is 5'10" and 210 pounds who needs to lose weight, and someone who is 6'5" and the same weight, who needs to lose a few pounds. I was just asking his height to get an idea of his body type.

8. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

You should be out working on those shitty 9:30 wheelies instead of doing cardio :fawk:

9. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I've heard that but dont believe it, I weight ~200lbs and my estimated maintancace is 3200. I've tried cutting to 2500 cals but my weight just doesnt budge

10. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Not sure if I misunderstand...shouldn't you then try to go down to 2000 cals?

As for the original question cardio machines tend to read out higher numbers for calories burnt so I just use the treadmill and guesstimate approx. 100 cal per mile.

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

more efficient use of sugar. glucorell to the rescue.

12. V!

V! New Member

:werd:

13. Durk

Durk New Member

:ugh:

14. about:blank

Old pic, I'm at least 9:45 now :o

15. about:blank

Roger that, mirror looks better... But fat is more pronounced, seems like it's sticking out more. My weight has been pretty wild in the last 5 years... At one point I was 185, went down to 152 and 4% BF... Went up to 225, down to 180, up to 215... :hsugh:

Goal is 175 by October 24th, doubt I'll make it unless I start dropping weight at 3.5lb/week :o

16. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

there was some calculator that OT posted about figuring your main calories and optimal cutting calories to keep muscle and lose fat. I tried it for a few weeks and didnt budge in weight. Assuming I wont put on muscle in a caloric deficit, my weight should drop at least a pound a week, but it didnt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.