Are these stains permanent? *pics*

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by WiLL, Dec 20, 2004.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I know that there is no way for you guys to really tell from pictures posted online, but I figure it is better than nothing. I have been giving my car a lot of neglect, actually before it's latest wash, it has been 6 months since. And to top it off, I park right under a redwood tree. So I have decided to change my attitude about it and start to take care of my car.

So I took the car to a local detailer place and the guy told me with a face of disgust that the stains left from the tree might be permanent. And that he would charge me $150 to give it a full detail and TRY to remove some of the stains. So I thought I would get some advice of others. So here are the pics. The stains you see are from the sap from redwood trees.

Yea the pics arent that great
    [​IMG]

Take that...and x 25 for the roof, hood, and trunk
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn redwood
    [​IMG]

And here are some macro pics after a regular wash. I also clay barred this section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

They may not come completely out, especially if the paint is etched. You may get the color stains gone but there may be an outline of the spots if the paint is etched.

I guess you have learned NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REGULARLY PARK UNDER ANY TREE!!!!!!

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

:( I really dont have a choice since that is my assigned parking space for this complex.

Are there any methods I should try to remove as much as I can?

4. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

That's why I have one of those big canvas awning thingies in my garage. it > maple tree/bird shit

5. MattZ28

MattZ28 New Member

Clay, then polish. If you don't own a good buffer (PC 7336/7424 or better), then use Meguiar's ScratchX by hand.

6. MattZ28

MattZ28 New Member

7. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Awesome. I clayed an area again. Then applied 3 applications of ScratchX by hand. About 80% of the stains come out. I should get better results by polishing the area before-hand. Thanks a lot guys.

And I wish I can put some type of tarp over the area, but that would piss the rest of the HOA board off.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Get a car cover or move. Seriously. I would also complain to the management that the tree is ruining your paint.

9. The_otherguy

The_otherguy New Member

Hey man.. thats not too bad really, before i moved i had to park my bright white car under a pine tree, got little red dots allllll over it. i washed and washed it never came off. then i figured since i have a white car it will hide very very tiny scrathes. i went to the gorcery store and bought 2 packs of mr,clean magic erasers, got the areas wet with hot water, used dawn dish soap and lighted rubbed the area with the eraser and they came off like nothing!.. then i just buffed the car up real good with some mothers products and it looked perfect.. and i begain parkin in the street lol

10. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Ok. First to answer some comments, unless it becomes a buyer's market around here, we cant move for various reason. I cant trade spots either because, everyone knows about the tree. :o I can trade with my mom, but then, I would be an asshole for doing that. :hs:

Well, a friend and I spent all day yesturday working on the paint. He had a PC buffer, and we did 2 stages of polish and a layer of wax. The finer stage of the polish did a good job of removing some of the stains. I would say about 75% of the stains are gone. The ones that are still there are probably really old. The car over all looks a hell of a lot better. I would take pics, but there is already a layer of dust from the winds this morning. And before anyone says it....can you believe that Kragen, Walmart, and Target were all out of Claybars?

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions.

11. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I can't believe that you'd induce scratches into your paint :wtc:

12. The_otherguy

The_otherguy New Member

The scrathes are so fine you would need to put it under one of those color defining lights in an autobody shop to even see them, finer than human hair, and i had planed to get the car painted later on.