Are these speakers decent?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Oct 27, 2007.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Looking for some inexpensive front speakers for my 5.1.

Anybody know if these are any good (keep in mind this is a very budget system)? I just saw these and liked the way they looked, and for the price I may get them.

http://www.frys.com/product/4005092

They seemed very cheap for floor standing speakers.

Thanks OT

2. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

for the online price, I'd get them. not bad for a starter 5.1 system. what do you got so far for your system?

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

for 70 dollars a pop id buy those

i could use those for party speakers

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

haha....i was thinking that you couldn't really call these a bad deal b/c they are pretty cheap. I was under the impression that Polk also made some decent stuff.

Right now I have a few year old receiver (aka 5 years). Technics SA-DX940. A pretty entry level receiver for back then even.
    Some Onkyo center and rear speakers (I picked them from a friend) model skf-420f :dunno: a 8 inch Sony subwoofer 100watt ($80 on sale from best buy a few years ago)(I cannot wait to upgrade that).

My front speakers right now are some Bose 201 series IV (i think they are two way's with a 5 1/4 woofer). i got these for free from a friend who was throwing them out.

Pretty much my whole system has been pieced together over the years. I now have a new home to put everything in (i move in December) and I wanted it to match a little better.

IMO the system sounds okay right now, it just does not feel too crisp when listening to it (i think it is the receivers time to go)

What are your thoughts OT. This needs to be BUDGET!

5. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Damn a pair of those would be nice to use in my stereo turntable system :)

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i rock polks in my home theater and i like mine.

7. mgardula

mgardula New Member

Sony makes some decent receivers at reasonable prices. If you know how to solder you can replace the bad capacitors in your receiver. No need to test them. When they run hot the plastic wrap around them tend to shrink. A hot capacitor is a bad capacitor. 5 years and running I bet there are a few.

8. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

hah...this receiver has always run very very hot (aka burn myself if I touch the top after a movie). I have never heard the fan kick on! Think this may be an issue? lol

I have a Sony STR-DE1075, but have never figured out how to work it. It has always sounded very "tin" like. As if the amplifier in it did not work well. All of the speakers never sounded like they were going to their full potential. I think I may just buy a new one coming soon. It's time anyways since none of my receivers have HDMI inputs, and only use optical digital connections (where as I barely ever see DVD players with optical connections now, only coax)

9. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Don't know where you are looking but most upper end and even mid-priced dvd players have optical connections.

10. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I have the smallest bookshelf models from that line and they are quite good for what they cost. I wish I had the money to buy those towers.

11. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

$70 each? guess I missed the deal. I'd love to have those for my down stairs setup and move my Monitor 40s upstairs. dammit!