Are these signs of bad squat form?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Bailey, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

I've been pushing myself really hard lately and seeing some great gains. I just want to see if you guys think I have good form.

When squatting heavy (just hit a milestone 225x5 for me) on the way up, sometimes I feel like I'm using my lower back to lift. Afterwards my lower back gets sore. Is it normal that your lower back is being used when squatting?

Also, my knees want to buckle inwards when going up but I always force them back out. I'm self concious about that because it may appear to someone watching that my wobbly legs can't handle the weight. Then again maybe I'm exaggerating.

I always go ass-to-grass with the exception of the occasional cheating on the last rep. I have no spotter and I'd much rather cheat a few inches than kill myself. My feet stay pigeon-toed and a little wider than should width.

2. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I've found my lower back gets sore when I don't keep it completely straight. My back seems to arch backwards a bit .... and it gets painful. Just do your best to keep your back straight. I find if I bump down the weight a little it doesn't happen.

3. Plan B

Plan B New Member

aren't you supposed to keep an arch in your back :confused:

4. bear

bear frankly rover i dont give a "woof

I have the same problems as you. No matter what weight i do my legs will wobble slightly. My uper thighs also get strained really easy too, starting to limit my squatting.

5. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Replace regular squats with a2g front squats for a while. Much easier to use correct form and hit full depth. I didn't squat for over a month and just came back to it on Thursday stronger and better than ever. Make sure you continue to do other exercises to target your glutes/hamstrings/posterior chain like sldl, rdl, good mornigs, etc.

6. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

That's pretty good advice. The lower back pains usually originate from poor form. If you're finding yourself at the bottom part of your squat working hard to stop the bar from drifting forward then you're not arch isn't tight.

From the book of Dave:

Secret #2: Get a tight arch!
    You must learn to develop the strength to keep a tight arch in the lower back. This arch must be kept throughout the entire movement. The moment you begin to lose this arch, the bar will begin to drift forward and out of the natural barbell path. When the bar starts to drift toward the toes, you'll lose the squat and end up stapled to the floor. The bar must stay close to the hip joint and away from the toes.
    You must also keep the shoulder blades pulled together with your elbows pulled forward. This will create the much needed upper back tightness to keep the barbell in proper position. Remember, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so you must keep the barbell in the proper path.
    When your elbows turn out toward the back, the bar will drift forward again and end up stapling you to the floor as well as ripping your head off. This is one common mistake I see in all my seminars. When I ask attendees who taught them to squat with their elbows back, nine out of ten times they say, "My coach." This is another example of those who think they know how to squat not knowingsquat!

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i've been doing front squats as my only squat exercise for probably 6 weeks now because my quads are super weak in comparison to my posterior chain (highest I've full squatted is 205 versus 375 fairly-easy DL) and needed to catch up...

Going back to full squats this week, so if that really helped with strength gains and more importantly, correcting my form (was having trouble keeping back arched at bottom of the rep), i will let yous guys know.

8. Silmatharien

well I find when my back arches too much I get pain.

9. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

I really wish I had someone to watch my form and correct me. I would take a video for you guys but it may look weird to others in the gym. I really have no idea of the bar is inline with my hips, or what my arch looks like.

What are a2g squats? I don't see anything on exrx.net

10. Silmatharien

ass to ground?

11. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

12. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

when your back hurts it's usually because after reaching the lowest point of your squat you start going up by raising your butt first while the weight does not move. Then you back goodmornings it a bit to get it back into position as you keep going up.

13. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

I definitely feel my back "good morning'ing" the weight. I don't know if I'm able to prevent this.

14. Memor

Memor Active Member

increase mobility + strengthen abs

15. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

Just because your flexibility doesn't allow you to go lower doesn't mean it's a full squat.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

looked pretty deep to me

17. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Here comes the e-dick swinging.

It was plenty deep.

18. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

I agree it was deep enough but definitely not ass to grass. This is ass to grass.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpA47OUohpM

19. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

I never said it wasn't a deep squat. Reread what I wrote. I squat to parallel so there's no e-dick swinging going on.

20. Bailey

Bailey OT Supporter

Hey, looks like his knees buckled inward too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.