MIL Are these pictures allowed?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, Jun 2, 2005.

?

Should NWS pics of dead soldiers and/or insurgents be shown in Teh Barracks? *PUBLIC*

1. Yes, we need to be able to see the truth, even if it hurts.

68.1%
  2. Yes - but only insurgents and other enemy combatants.

17.0%
  3. No, we need to keep it clean.

6.4%
  4. Undecided. I'm covering my eyes, but peeking through my fingers.

4.3%
  5. WTF, over?!

4.3%
  1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

A buddy of mine came back from Iraq with some pictures of the aftermath of a few firefights they got into.

They are rotten.com type pictures, but taken from his digital camera.

Is this acceptable or no?

2. hooahrcr

hooahrcr Chris_Hearn

show them this will bring a good wake call for the complacant soldier

3. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

i'd show 'em on OT.

worst has been posted before here.

4. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

5. Lad

Lad Guest

I think militants should see the aftermath of wat goes on. And anyone interested, so long as they arent shown in poor taste I.E. mocking the dead or potochopping something ridiculous with it.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I'm thinking that if they are just pics of sprawled out dead people, I don't really want to see them. But having said that - this isn't my forum, it's our forum. Hence the sticky.

I'll also convert this into a public poll. Weight will be given to votes from frequent posters to this forum, and C5Load and I reserve the right to take input from Faz, mods, and smods in developing a NWS pics policy for Teh Barracks.

7. Ranger-AO

Poll coming.

8. nerfball

nerfball New Member

What's the big deal? You put a warning on the thread and if you don't want to see it then don't click.

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

WTF? MY forum!

10. Ranger-AO

My thoughts are:
    • NWS pics must be linked. Period.
    • Whether a post and picture is intended as a trollbait or not is sometimes highly subjective. If your mods feel a post is a trollbait (whether intended or not) we will either warn, delete/edit the post, or move/lock/delete the thread.
    • A lot of whether I want to see a pic of combat deaths or not comes from whether the pics are respectful to our military members and their mission.
    • There are times when pics of dead American soldiers and our allies are acceptable...
    • ...and there are times when pics of dead American soldiers and our allies are not acceptable.
    • If it's just ogrish-style body parts and bloated bodies, I'm not interested.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

Yes - but only insurgents and other enemy combatants.

The only pictures of dead American soldiers that should be posted are honorable and respectful ones, like when they're in the casket draped in an American flag and things of that nature, but one of them sprawled out on the floor with blood all over should not be posted. As far as insurgents go, post whatever you want :bigthumb:

12. Lad

Lad Guest

I think that NWS linked really shouldnt matter or not, so long as there is forewarning in the title. People all too often overglorify war and combat in general, and pictures might enhance that. As for being trollbait, thatis always something that is subjective, and that is why we have mods, to control some of the BS that is sifted into the pages of a lot of posts. Not everyone has a server to post their pictures from, or has the time to post them on a neutral server so as to post on this one.
    As for my thoughts about what can and cant be shown in pictures.... Well, this IS a military forum. For military stuff... So why sugar coat everything? Honestly, I dont think that we should. What do most people think of when you say the word military?.... I would say most people think of War. And I KNOW that words cannot tell a story about war better then pictures. Nor can words fully describe your encounter. And not everyones encounter is peaceful, not everyones encounter is violent. But I do think that they should have the opportunity to express their encounter to the fullest.
    With that said, propaganda type pictures (specifically intended to sway peoples opinions negatively or positively for something) probably shouldnt be allowed. Yes, we all have opinions, but it should be that, opinions. And like the forum rules state, we DO still fall under the UCMJ (most of us at least), so we should keep it mostly professional.
    As far as American Soldiers.... I cant think of anyone who would take pictures of their dead buddies. I personally wouldnt ever, as that is just not a picture of how I would like to remember anyone. But if someone felt the need, it is THEIR experience, and they should be allowed to share that with others. I think that some modesty should be used if this needs be (Blurr out faces of the deceased, in case someone close to that person happens to come to OT. When I worked CACO, we had to keep identities of the dead secret until the family was notified due to the fact that it can be an incredibly hard blow to find out your child or husband was killed by someone other then the Marine Corps).
    But then again, this is all just imho. And I am just one person. But this is a very good topic indeed and I am eagerly awaiting the verdict :bigthumb:

13. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

Post the pics already :mamoru:

14. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Exactly, just post them for crying out loud.

Put up a NWS and leave it at that, if people still complain......fuck em.

15. Socrates

Socrates New Member

16. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Well, thats informative.

17. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

It is for those wanting to join, seeing these images if you have doubt... you should think hard about if this is what you want to go through.

18. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

wow. that ied must of been huge

19. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Sensational Moderator Super Moderator

as long as the thread stays respectufl and doesn't turn into a pissing contest would be my $0.02

20. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Good for people thinking about my trade, Infantry :noes:

21. itsnick

itsnick Guest

I'm in Commo and unfortunately I've seen more than most rotating infantry units will see. But then again, we typically support combat arms, so we are bound to see it more often.

22. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

good times to be had....

23. Nausty17

Nausty17 New Member

thanks for posting the pics. I really think stuff like this needs to be shown so that people see what it can really be like. You definitely never see anything like this at the recruiters.

24. BassBoy14

BassBoy14 New Member

There is nothing wrong with pics like this, just show respect they are still pepole. And befor you ask yes I am over here for the 2nd time. Have see it and caused it.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Dude... a guy from Missouri collects death pron? :shiver: