MIL are there any Signal Corps officers in here?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by raand, Feb 12, 2008.

1. raand

raand New Member

I am in ARMY ROTC and a prior enlisted MP, but when I finish school next year I will have a degree in computer engineering and I was wondering if the signal corps was a good place to be as an officer, what an officer does in the signal corp, if it will apply to my degree and be a good place for a computer engineering major, and if you would recommend it.

2. shiba

shiba Active Member

From what my friends tell me, you'll most likely work in the G6 or S6 shop and you'll be lucky to get command time. You'll be settign up computer networks, and doing basic computer maintenance and tech support.

3. raand

raand New Member

well the lack of command time kind of sucks but the rest sounds nice because of my interests and my degree

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

A SIGO setting up computer networks and doing basic computer maint? Officers are managers, not technicians. :rofl: There are a couple SIGO's in the barracks, but for now check out this link.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjob1/l/blsignals.htm

5. raand

raand New Member

yah i have read a billion web pages just looking for some information straight from real people in the job but thank you

6. brackac

Not a SIGO, but I was in Army Signal for 9 years, I might be able to help.

7. raand

raand New Member

well i am just curious like i said earlier what the world of signal was like and what officers usually do in signal i know the main job of an officer is to lead but there is always a little more than that. Also what kind of signal unit were you in?

8. brackac

Tactical Comm, MSE equipment.

9. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

go ordnance

10. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

Where is Turbo when you need him?

11. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

yea, hit up turbomaniacal. Hes a signal O4.

12. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Im a SIGO. A new Signal 2LT can go really 2 different routes either NETCOM or Tactical (Sig CO, S6). I dont know jack about NETCOM so Ill let you know what to expect from Tactical SIG. In the current BCT setup, we have one Signal Company per BCT. If you go there its a brigade asset and JNN is the vast majority of their mission. There are a few other things they do such as BDE S6 Netops and retrans. Gordon will teach you all about MSE but that is old school and unless you are in some reserve or guard unit, you will never see MSE stuff in the non-TRADOC Army.

Im a Battalion S6. Our job differs from the Signal Company Officers because you are on the BN CDRs Staff, your main job is planning and all comms support. During the MDMP process, the S6 must plan out and write the 5th paragraph of the OPORD as well as the Annex H. The S6 must plan the location of any retrans team to ensure flawless and reliable FM coverage. As well as the distribution of COMSEC to the battalion. The S6 is responsible for the BN CPN and make sure that it is connected to the JNN network. Off of the CPN, The S6 makes sure that all of the ABCS systems have connectivity as well. Their is a ton of tactical comms stuff such as HF and UHF radios as well as the whole SIPR/NIPR automations stuff. There really is a lot of stuff involved in Signal, but its the Signal Soldiers that really do the majority of the work. Dont let anyone think that they are glorified RTO's, because they are technicians and quite intelligent. A S6 plans it out and makes sure things run smooth, its the Soldiers that actually make the computers and radios work.

If you become a SIGO, my advice is to learn as much from your guys as possible from day one. Because your fellow Officers will expect that you can do everything your Soldiers can do (load radios, troubleshoot Outlook, etc.). It really is a good branch to be in and sets you up for a good career in or out of the Army.
    Your degree will make it easier to be a SIGO, but its not a necessity, I have a Poli Sci degree and get by just fine. a Computer Science degree will give you a leg up on everyone else for sure.
    PM me if you have any further questions.

13. raand

raand New Member

yah my degree is computer engineering which is a electrical engineering/ comp sci hybrid so we do some signals analysis and communications stuff with some network communications too so I thought it would help but it also would allow me to work somewhere i am interested in.

I am currently in the Guard but I am a MP so it is a little different than signal, but I am deeply considering going into the active duty as an officer, once I figure out what the odds are for getting into signal

Reckless thanks a lot for the information

14. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

MSE is dead dude...it's all about the JNN now

15. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Oh and fuck netcom

16. brackac

MSE was so simple and rugged, from the time we hit site I could have a SEN van in the net in <30 minutes with just a 5 man team, which was ARTEP standards. Set the 125th Sig Bn record for having it up in 17 minutes with a 4 man team, that is from the time the vehicle was turned off to the first phone call made. Now it's commerical crap like the TDC suites, which is fragile in comparison, and if you don't understand the dial code tables, not very user friendly.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  17. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

Signal is pretty good. You wanna go Tactical as an LT though. You'll get Command time, it's kinda required.
    As an LT, if you're a signal PL try to get with the re-trans team or EPLRS guys. They are the one's that actually help soliders talk. JNN just provides phone and data on the FOB. The only time people are going to care about JNN is when it's not working. So all you're going to get is complaints, plus you'll be stuck on the FOB the entire time.