Are there any plans for building a box online?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by STA, Nov 12, 2002.

1. STA

STA Guest

I recently got some new Cerwin-vega vega series subs and I am going to make a box for them. I am a noob but I will get help from my sis' bf who is very handy with tools.

right click, save as This is a pdf file of the subs specs. and installation info.

Any help or info. would be apprecciated. Thanks in advance

2. STA

STA Guest

Oh yeah. I have a somewhat big trunk. 92 Ford Thunderbird. And they will be getting close to 400 W rms each.

3. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Pretty much waht I did, I converted the cubic feet into cubic inches. I started making random dimensions until I got close to the specified number of cubic inches i needed. Then from there I made the box. I went for a sealed box. If you are going ported, I dont know anything about those. First you need to look at those charts and specs and decide which box you want to enclose your speakers with. There is a thread in this forum which has a few pointers on how to make a box. I'm too lazy to dig it up :(

4. 04

04 Guest

How much space do you have? Do you want a vented or sealed enclosure? A bandpass maybe? What kind of music do you listen to and how loud?

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

my guess is he wants a sealed box since it will be the simplest to make

6. STA

STA Guest

Well I'd like to make it simple, but they suggest the box be a bass reflex (ported). They also suggest around 2.25 cu. ft. per sub with a 10.75" long 4" dia. port for each. Now they say to have the port play into the listening area. Do I pu the port and speakers facing the back of the seat or speakers facing back with the ports toward the seat?

And 042801, I listen to a lot of rap and some other stuff. I have an area 14" high, 22" deep", 36" wide in my trunk for the box. The rest of the room will be for amp racks.

7. 04

04 Guest

hehe, I am drun, but I am going to answer anyways.

Well, i bet their enclosure design is correct. Now, as for the placement, you are going to have to experiment. It SHOULD be the same in either placing forward or back, , but with all the variables availiable, you are going to just have to place it and see!

Also, bass reflex is good for more output. You get more output in the passband, but the output drops dramatically below system resonance. SHit dude I am sorry I am drunk rigfht now I will try and explain it tommorow, what passbandc and system resonance is. But be assured, if your amplifier has a subsonic filter, the vented will produce max bass output, probably with not too much problems, but if youwant sound quality, you should choose sealed (usually) but not always. I am sorry I am not much help right now, because I hav e unfortunatly let me and the cap'tn make it happen, but tommorow, I will be soboer, and can acutally help you, I am sorry if this makes no sense..... Tommorow I will help doing a good job...

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i think he mean band pass but almost every band pass ive herd sounds like poop

9. 04

04 Guest

Nope, I was talking about ported. Quite frankly even though I was drunk, all that information is correct! :bigthumb:

You can make a good sounding bandpass, but for the most part, they really are too much of a pain to design and construct. Not to mention, they also are VERY sensitive to system design parameter errors. And if your small signal parameters on your woofer are not accurate, you are going to have big problems.

Usually ported and vented are the way to go. Horn loading is also very good, but they are hard to design and construct too.

10. STA

STA Guest

Thanks, now I just have to wait until next payday to buy the materials. I'll let you know how it goes.