Are there any OTr's that do data recovery?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Phishy4, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

I'm a sys admin, and made the mistake of helping out a manager with his home computer. I got him up and running, but he has a second drive that was just data that is fucked. I've tried mounting it via usb/ide adapter in windows and linux, and knoppix sees it but won't mount it. I'm pulling a ghost image (-fro, very very slowly) off of it and am going to see if I can get at the data w/ghost explorer.

I don't think he's going to shell out the $1500 to take it to Kroll Ontrack, and I remember seeing a couple threads about an ot'r that does data recovery stuff. Any ideas?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

SpinRite 6.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my experience is that its better you don't. Generally you don't recover what they wanted, and that just pisses them off and wastes your time. If you do get some data you don't get as much as you could had you just sent the drive to DriveSavers or another similar company. They're not that expensive, either. Many home-owners insurance policies even cover the cost!

4. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

Do you have an idea what they charge? I've taken a bunch to Kroll and its been 1500-2k every time.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They're fairly economical. Price varys widely on what they're recovering, whats wrong with the drive, and how fast/secure you need things to be.

They give free estimates: 800.440.1904

6. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I've had some success in the past with a couple of products. Spinrite was one, and the other was EZDriveRecovery, I think. I'll check at work tomorrow and let you know.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've had very good success with getdataback

8. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

I'll check with them, thanks.

9. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

I managed to get my hands on SpinRite 6, and its chugging away now. We'll see I guess. Drivesavers quoted me $500-$2700 depending on the amount of data they recover, so for dudes sake I hope this works. I guess upparoom does DR too, and he'll be getting the drive if this doesn't work.

10. r1dd1ck

r1dd1ck New Member

Drive savers is the bomb. The IT company I work for has used them twice for clients, both times they were able to fully recover drives that would not mount or image.

11. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

Yea, for critical stuff my company takes their shit to Kroll OnTrack (their lab is like 5 minutes from my office), and they've recovered everything we've thrown at them from SAN stuff to raid arrays to destroyed laptop drives. It ain't cheap, but when its mission critical data, its worth it.