Are there any Mini ITX fans here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Grouch, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Im trying to do some very early priceing on a mini itx NES system I hoping to build sometime in the not to distant future. Here are the specs i've come up with and some estamated (high to factor tax/shipping). Its not intended to be a gaming rig or anything but i wanted to have some hardware that I will last me a while for very light gaming and net surfing.

$100 60GB 5400rpm Notebook Hard Drive for Toshiba

$400 Commell LV-673 Intel Pentium M Mini-ITX Board
    $170 gigaram (2x1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 400 (PC2 3200)

$90 Morex 150W Power Kit for mini-ITX Motherboards

$90 SONY Slim DVD Burner Black IDE Model DWQ58A - OEM

$220 Intel Pentium M 740 Dothan 1.73GHz 533MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Retail

$55 BIOSTAR V7302EL16 Geforce 7300LE Supporting 256MB

Total = 1125 so I'll round up to 1200 just to be safe.

Any opinions on the selection? Things I should do diferent?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

maybe it's just me but that mobo seems REALLY expensive.

What is your goal? because a uATX would be a better choice for cost-effectiveness.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm a fan of Mini-ITX, but I haven't bought anything yet. They are by no means a gaming-quality system, unless all you want to do is run ROM emulators, but there have been lots of people that have built media centers and file/web servers using Mini-ITX.

I saw a nice project on www.mini-itx.com where a guy took an old external SCSI case, put a Mini-ITX board in it, and hooked up a bunch of hard drives and a router inside the case to make himself a file server and DHCP/DNS server that was smaller than his main computer. I'd like to duplicate that one using VIA's dual-CPU 1GHz board. 2x 1GHz plus maybe 1GB of RAM should be more than enough to handle any file storage and compression that I'd ever need such a machine for.

And yes Jolly, I'd install a RAID card. :fawk:

4. Grouch

Grouch Guest

It's $380 on itx outlet. But like i said my prices are adjusted for tax and shipping

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

ITXs neat for embedded systems.

6. Grouch

Grouch Guest

yeah but embeddeds are slow. :hs:

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No, they're FAST. Fast for what they do.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

9. Grouch

Grouch Guest

yeah no not really.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, totally. A gigabit ITX can handle anything you would want to throw at it.

11. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Gigabit makes an embedded that will play far cry at 1600x1200 with full AA/AF?

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That is not an embedded application. ITX is not appropriate. I amend to say they handle anything you would REASONABLY want to throw at them. They're just crazy fast for what they are used for.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

itx is good for carputers, cash registers, kiosks, net-surfing terminals, routers, etc. Very fast for that.

14. Grouch

Grouch Guest

right. but its still not going to be as fast as something like i've posted.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, I think it's stupid to waste all that money on an itx when for LESS you can get a uATX setup that is more powerful, won't overhead like a mofo, and is only marginally larger.

16. deusexaethera

And a Lamborghini can go 300km/h, but if you hook a trailer up to it you'll burn out the gearbox within 500 miles. The dual-1GHz file server I talked about wanting to build could compress and store files like nobody's business, without degrading the performance of my main PC while playing WoW (or something similar). But if I tried to run WoW on the file server, I'd hang myself in short order. Everything has its purpose.

17. deusexaethera

It's about as stupid as spending $100 on a polished Silverstone case when a $30 Antec will hold your computer just as effectively. Small is nifty; nifty is expensive; hence small is expensive.

18. Grouch

Grouch Guest

right. and thats not my purpose. I thought that was clear from the start. But an EPIA dual 1GH would suck ass for WoW anyways.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Actually, no. I have previously demonstrated how a mid-range case such as a Lian Li PC-6070, Coolermaster CMStacker, or Silverstone TJ-04 can decrease noise, increase cooling, and increase longevity of components.

Grounding is one category that is often overlooked in cases, for example. And that's not even getting into physical quality, such as proper laser cuts, and double-rolled edges.

20. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Did you actually read what its going into? Can i fit an uATX in an NES case, with a dvd drive, HD, and and low pro video card?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what is the point of doing so?

And you'll probably overheat that system in short-order... Not to mention improper grounding and nothing to act as a faraday cage.

22. deusexaethera

Yeah, I said it would suck for WoW. I'm curious why you started bashing the very product you want to buy, anyway.

23. Grouch

Grouch Guest

To put it in a NES. :ugh:

Whats the point of making any small system?

Plenty of people have done it, creating stable systems that dont over heat the second minesweeper is loaded up.

24. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:ugh: Im not entending to buy an embedded.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

So you have no reasonable purpose in doing this? Just because you saw someone else do it?

Some do have reasons... Router, for example. Or a carputer. However, the "gaming" systems tend to use uATX platforms -- and even then cooling is a major concern.