Are there any iPod adapters/head units that don't take control of the iPod?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fixthe fernback, Apr 26, 2008.

1. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

Navigating an iPod with lots of music on it using only buttons might be a pain. Are there any adapters that still charge the iPod, and transmit the audio via USB/read the tags, yet allow me to control the selection via the iPod? This question may have been done to death, but I can't search, and don't see anything on the first few pages.

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Not that I know of, but I just installed an Alpine iDA-X100 (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X100) in a friend's car and it's pretty easy to navigate. Has a 2" lcd, red or blue lighting, etc. Only thing it doesn't do is CDs. As far as I'm concerned tho, with the sizes of iPods these days, who needs cd's when your entire collection can fit on your iPod ?

It's a really slick unit, and can most likely be had for a fair bit less than Alpine's MSRP if you look around.

3. fixthe fernback

MSRP is 1/3 the price of the car I will be putting it in, no thanks. I want to spend no more than $150, and I can accomplish this with the JVC KD-HDR1 and iPod Adapter.

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

why not get a car charger and a headunit with aux in?

5. fixthe fernback

I could, but it would be nice to have as few wires as possible and also have the song information on the unit.

6. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member