COMIC Are there any good Superman comics?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Macgyver, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Macgyver

Macgyver Deep beneath the rolling waves...

I kinda liked Birthright.

Just read All-Star Superman, it was awful. I'd say more but I'm trying to keep an open mind about DC, lol..

I've read a couple other Superman comics here and there, hated em.

What I've gathered is that the movies and even Smallville are vastly superior to any Superman comic, and that's just sad.

I'm a Marvel guy, I'm trying to give DC a chance just because I should, but honestly everything DC I've read has been really stupid, or didn't make any damn sense. The impression I get it that DC just makes shit up and runs with it, Marvel makes shit up and at least attempts to explain it's basis in reality, and I guess that makes all the difference to me..

I guess if I liked Batman I'd be better off, lol..

2. kurupt

kurupt Active Member

Superman has been very boring lately.. :sadwavey:

Have you read any Green Lantern stuff lately?

3. Macgyver

I've never read a Green Lantern comic. :wtc:

4. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

You have some catching up to do. Sinestro Wars was an incredible arc.

5. DJKlitz

DJKlitz New Member

:ugh:

Marvel has been sucking major ass, I was a Marvel fan first but realized how much better DC was. Marvel fucked themselves in the ass so many times, its ridiculous.

All Star Superman > your fucking life, you faggot.

6. pojoWRX

pojoWRX comics, indie hip-hop, home theater, Subie and dad

all-star superman is amazing imho.

7. Macgyver

All-Star Superman: Jimmy Olsen is a metrosexual, Superman hangs out with dudes that wear rainbow suits and pretend like they're S.H.I.E.L.D. in space with all kinds of made-up shit, with no basis on current theory. Bizarro world appeared out of nowhere, yet Superman escapes powerless, through space, on a rocket made of trash which he convinced the locals to make by speaking like a moron. Doomsday beats Superman, then disappears, then Superman is no longer under the control of Black kryptonite, which made him stupid and bad at the same time. Not to mention Bizarro-speak is TORTURE to read. Then A couple Kryptonians take over Earth but Superman handles them in like one page, says thier spirits would be in the Phantom zone, but clearly the bodies are. Jon Kent dies cause Superman fought a time void thing, even though the other Supermen from the future warned him. Oh and one of the future supermen was apparently a leprechan, with a name I'm assuming was chosen by a cat that strayed onto a keyboard.

I did like Lex though, he was pretty good.

Honestly the whole thing seems rushed, not thought-out, frantic, and absolutely NOT the best of Superman like the book promised.

I feel bad for DC cause the whole history of the characters is stuck in the stupid ages when life on mars wasn't completely off the table, colors could affect superheroes, magic was like a circus attraction, and we didn't know so much about how the universe worked. Wonder woman is an Amazon? Please. Someone explain the speed force for me, how does that work, other than simply being the speed force? If Aquaman isn't from Atlantis, then how did he get his powers? And Robin, Robin is the worst of them all. How is Black Canary cool? Green Arrow?

Here's one example: In both scenarios, the universe is shaped like a slice of bread, in a loaf of universes stood end to end. In Ultimate FF, Reed figured the higher up on the loaf a universe is, the younger it is, and used a big bang from a younger universe to attack Galactus. Rainbow suit dude, figured the lower on a universe, the heavier shit is. And stuff was heavy there. Which is a cooler idea?

And how about Bizarro world, square earth! If everything was the opposite, there couldn't be a planet cause gravity would scatter everything. And why is everyone stupid if there are dumb people on the real earth? It's like trying to make sense of Terminator time-travel rules, you can't, you just gotta like it or don't.

I'm probably just ignorant of the DC universe, I can live with that, but compared to Marvel, I haven't been impressed, at all.

Marvel has dumb ideas too, they kill off all the characters I like for one thing, they cop-out on all the potentially awesome endings.

At any rate, I'm gonna grab Sinestro wars or corp or whatever.

8. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

I haven't followed All Star Superman, but I did read the issue where he escapes from the bizarro planet, and it cracked me up.

All the issues pertaining to the Sinestro Wars are up on elephant drive, I believe.

9. axio

axio New Member

All-Star Superman is awesome. All-Star Batman is awesome also... but for completely different reasons where you feel sad for Frank Miller :rofl:

The Sinestro Corps arc is amazing, Green Lantern is worth reading since Rebirth. The new JLA is pretty decent also, but JSA is a thousand times better. Batman has been pretty decent also but even the whole Ra's Al-Ghul arc wasn't something I'd write home about.

10. Gauntlet04

Gauntlet04 The Light

There's a reason why JSA is awesome and it's 2 words.

GEOFF JOHNS!!!!!!!!

He's trying valiantly with Action Comics and I am enjoying the Legion of Supermen/Superheroes arc he has going on but it's still not his best stuff.

11. pojoWRX

pojoWRX comics, indie hip-hop, home theater, Subie and dad

ya JSA is awesome. I've been trying to follow Batman/Detective since Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul and it's pretty good, but I gotta agree with the masses....Green Lantern is the BEST

12. void

void oh yeah?

if you don't like all star superman, then you shouldn't read superman...it's classic stories with a modern twist and it works perfectly.

the issue with clark interviewing lex in jail and the issue with the lost kryptionian astronauts were amazing.

it's well thought out, and grant morrison has ALLL the time in the world to do any revisions while he waits an eternity for frank quietly to draw 22 pages :o

13. Macgyver

Is it meant to be in-continuity? If not, then I like it more.

On another note, I read Sinestro wars, pretty good.

14. Macgyver

Also, re: Sinestro wars, thank god they recapped the character back-stories.

15. void

void oh yeah?

both all-star lines are seperate continuities...it's like all-star supes = ultimate spidey

16. void

void oh yeah?

and all-star batman = ultimate fucking nutjob

:mamoru:

17. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

That's The Goddamn Ultimate Fucking Nutjob to you. :squint:

18. Macgyver

All-Star Batman is awesome, loved it.