Are there any good computer stores to build PCs anymore?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illmatix, Jul 8, 2006.

1. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

It's been a while since I built a system for myself. I'd usually buy parts online, but I'm a little short on time. I know I could just run up to CompUSA or even Best Buy or something, but I don't want to get raped on prices. Are there any computer stores still open these days that can sell you parts to build a system without ripping you off royally?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I used to like PC Club. Good selection but prices are higher then online.

Nice thing tho...you get the parts right away.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The computer stores have always been a ripoff, but it wasn't apparent until warehouse-to-front-door places like Newegg opened up. Maintaining brick-and-mortar stores takes a huge amount of money, which is why the leading retailers don't do that anymore.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, by definition, a retailer would be brick & mortar.

I have first-hand experience in this... I charge more for my parts than newegg because I *have* to. They don't have the expense of knowledgable sales people. They don't have the expense of technicians. They don't have the expense of an actual retail establishment with displays, racks, and pretty decorations.

I dislike that customers can come into a computer store locally, do all their browsing, comparisons, pick the sales staffs' brains, and then go buy at newegg for a couple bucks less. Newegg actually makes money because B&M stores are there to take advantage of. I think that's sad.

5. Hartman

Hartman New Member

find a way to be competitive then. offer customers something that Newegg doesn't if you *have* to charge higher prices. or get in a different business, it's a cutthroat world.

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Why didn't he think of that?

Jolly offer a reacharound for every customer...

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, I've been in business since 1999... And we're approaching 2007. Gee, in march of 07 it'll be 8 full years. I think I *AM* doing something right.

For starters I know what the fuck I'm talking about. Newegg doesn't give advice. They post ricerish reviews and then screen them to only put up what they like... They may charge less, but I have a name and a face, and my customers know that. When they have a problem, they know they can come to ME... not some pimple-faced kid or no-english-speaking border-jumper making minimum wage in a warehouse for newegg.

Believe me, I have long ago based my business on SERVICE, and that works. It's the only way a B&M shop can stay running, imo.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, by definition a retailer would be a business that sells a wide array of products in small quantities, whereas a wholesaler sells a narrow array of products in large quantities. Retailers can be click-and-order as well as brick-and-mortar, but wholesalers have largely dominated the online market, so online retailers are relegated to "niche market" status. Newegg.com is perhaps a rare exception in that it is a retailer with a huge online presence.

9. got a website to check out jolly ?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

11. Hartman

Hartman New Member

ok so if you're successful and have built a pretty good niche customer base built on service, then why are you crying about Newegg?

12. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

It seems to me that it is the pseudo-customers which irritate him more than Newegg does. They enter the store knowing that they are going to purchase online instead of at the b&m, but would still like the expertise of the b&m salespeople in their decision making process.

As a salesperson, it's not difficult to distinguish between the window-shoppers with passing questions and people who are there solely to pick your brain. The window shoppers ask a few questions and run off, the brain-picker stands there for lengthy amounts of time that could be used converting window shoppers into purchasing customers or establishing ones self as a computing authority with said window-shoppers (much the same thing, really). Still, the exceptions to the rule, plus the PR aspect, make it difficult to tell these guys to gtfo and stop wasting time.

I'm so glad to have left my experience with retail behind me.

13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I don't think he was. In fact, on this forum he recommends them constantly to people over private shops. However, he was crying about people who use him for information and then buy their products at newegg.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bingo.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I pick all of the inventory myself.

16. Hartman

Hartman New Member

is newegg your supplier?

17. :rofl:

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, no.

19. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

It's funny you mention this.

The last time I bought a computer, I had all the parts picked out from the website of a brick and mortar store. Their website is surprisingly useful, listing even their inventory! So, I went there and picked out everything I needed and, while pointing out my parts, the salesperson noticed the motherboard, videocard and power suppy I was buying. He then warned me that the power supply plug won't appear to fit my motherboard! The motherboard outlet will be wider than the PSU cable plug but that it will be okay because I can just fit it over whatever I can and it will still work! He also said that this is only okay because of the relatively wimpy videocard I was buying and that, if I were ever to upgrade it, I might have to upgrade my power supply, as well.

Now that's service! That was seriously some useful information that I just didn't know. That, coupled with the fact that they have some very competitive prices, and I'm a loyal customer!

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

i can't access your site jolly.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

apparantly you are also unable to read.

22. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

ahh, touche. well played.

23. AriS

AriS New Member

i love newegg. sounds like someones bitter. i know what parts i want, newegg is cheap, delivers fast and has good choices. stop whining.

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

He loves newegg too. He won't stfu about newegg and Asus.

25. Hartman

Hartman New Member

there's room for both in the market. there are basically two types of computer people:

1. educated, knows how to research parts properly, has the ability to assemble and troubleshoot on their own. (newegg thrives here)
    2. doesn't know crap about computers but wants a decent machine (brick and motar places thrive here)