Are there any decent MB's out there?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Traitor, May 5, 2006.

1. Traitor

Traitor New Member

Im currently in the market to buy a new MB since my old Asus fried for no reason(had it for 3 years, so im not too upset :)) Anyways, Every forum on the new Asus A8N Deluxe or Premium seems to have loads of problems. As far as DFI, they seem to have ton of problems too, im not sure what to do at this point. I was looking at the AMD fx57 as a processor.

Recommend me a MB + Processor that is good for gaming and multi tasking that wont break this college students wallet:x:

PS. My videocard is a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and since its uses AGP slots im kind of screwed in that department since newer boards run pci xpress, so recommend me one thats cheap thats still good

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Not a one. They're all crap, every last one.

(grin)

Seriously though, ASUS motherboards are solid and reliable. They're kind of like the Seagate of motherboards -- they elect to wait until the cutting edge gets just dull enough to be safe before including new technologies in their affordable, do-it-yourself products.

Dual core CPUs are better for multitasking, and faster single core CPUs are better for singletasking. Games are mostly single-task programs, but they're starting to move in the direction of multitasking just like every other kind of software. I'd get an Athlon 64 X2 if you want the best of both worlds.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:werd:

ASUS is definitely the way to go for AMD motherboards.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I take MSI over Asus...

And I disagree that "asus waits to adopt technology"... They are often among the first to market.

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

The reason you hear so many bad things about the DFI and Asus is because many tech savvy people who use computer forums buy them. There's so many of them out there in comparison to other boards and they also tend to get the most abuse.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Exactly. People who (think they) know what they're doing beat the hell out of ASUS boards all the time, which is why there are so many reports of "my ASUS mobo just fried on me." (what tuner would admit they fucked up their chipset voltage or clock ratio and killed their machine?) Whereas other brands don't have as much bad press, because tuners won't go near them in the first place. Finally, the people who don't know how to tune a homebuilt machine aren't going to kill anything after the first week of use because they won't fiddle with it enough.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I've used all three (MSI, ASUS, DFI) and the only one I've had a problem with was an ASUS that had to be RMA'd for replacement. The replacement has been running fine since.

Personally I like DFI. No particular reason though, I just like their feature sets and the boards look cool (yea, if they all function the same then looks start to count too).