MIL Are there any Coasties out there?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wery67564, Mar 4, 2007.

1. wery67564

wery67564 New Member

I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this but in 9 days i'm shipped off for the coast guards basic training, just seeing if anyone has some advice fer me...or tips, or warnings , even a laugh or two....

Are there any MST's out there? I'm thinking about trying to get on one of the icebreakers for a year then going to MST School, has anyone served on the breakers or are there any MSTs out ther?

*edited cause ims stupids

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. J

J Active Member

don't have too much fun

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

congratulations! :bigthumb:

4. Mangos

Mangos New Member

5. Mangos

Mangos New Member

btw you should give us your address so we can write you :hsugh:

6. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

Know your CG helmsman manual front to back! Know your general orders, pay attention in class. I had a really easy time at CG boot camp and so can you if your just do what you're told, shut up and pay attention. If you do, your CC's probably will not even know who you are 'til week 7.

Good luck with going to MST school. When I was looking for a rate to pick back when I was a seaman on a 378', MST was at least a year or longer waiting list. You can't even put your name on the waiting list until you've been at your unit for 6months (maybe 4, I can't remember) w/o any negative conduct documentations.

Oh and be glad you're not going to Cape May in the middle of summer lol. I was there from July-Aug 2001 and almost every day it was either red or black flag weather. Heat + humidity + 1.5mile timed run = suckage, not to mention you spend half you days in classrooms and the other half marching around somewhere in your hot ass dark ODU's.

Enjoy those PB & J sandwiches too! Fuck I hated it when we would get to noon chow late 'cause some dumbass would mess something up and our whole company would have to do some kind of punishment shit, then we'd get to the mess hall and all the half decent food was gone.:squint:

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Here at Keesler, the training pit of Hell, black flag means no PT. Red flag means limited PT.

8. wery67564

wery67564 New Member

Thanks for the heads up, I've memorized my helmsman pretty much and I knew about the wait for A school but I still am gonna go for it, and i think it is four months til I can get on the waiting list, which is around a year long.

I'm not sure how accurate the waits are because I took my asvab in january and before the scores came in my recruiter said I couldn't go out til october, but when it came down to it march is the actual date.

No I am never going to post my adress, I'm not that stupid.

One question was if we run our timed 1.5mile on a track or on open ground. I can easily run it on a track but my cross country skills aren't as sharp. Just wondering if I should be running through creeks and sand dunes or shit like that. :squint:

9. bloodred83

You run the 1.5 mile on a rubber track, similar to any decent HS or college track. This kid that did XC for Michigan state was in my company and he ended up setting the new CG bootcamp record for the 1.5mile. I think he was going to the reserves.

The only time you'll be on the sand in Cape May is either when you guys really fucked up and they want to get you all sandy by doing up/downs on the beach early in the AM or late at night. When we earned our company colors we had to go listen to some story and get our asses worked in the sand one early morning before sunrise. So you're either going there to get worked, or get worked and get your colors. :rofl:

I don't think the mosquito's are out and about just yet in NJ either, which will be nice. Imagine being told to stand in the POA and you have like 10 mosquitos sucking on your blood. The CC's didn't allow you to swipe at them too much, FTL.

10. bloodred83

Yeah they generally go by those rules at CG BC, but sometimes they had to break the rules to get the required runs out of the way. If people screwed up during the day when it was red or black, they would just hold off on PT 'til after evening colors when it cooled down, then we'd get worked lol.

11. wery67564

wery67564 New Member

Thanks, I'm glad someone could answer my questions, hopefully when I get out I'll have some money to throw around and I'll get an avatar and whatnot...

12. bloodred83

Yeah np man. There really isn't much to boot camp. It'll all be over before you know it. I think it's still only 8 weeks long, right?