Are there any AMD64 motherboards that have DDR2 slots?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HardTech, Jun 23, 2005.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

The new Asus motherboard for Intel has DDR2, just wondering if any new AMD64 motherboards have them as well.

I would like to go the Intel route, but research suggests that the AMD architecture is more efficient, not to mention cheaper and cooler (temperature wise). I just don't know if it's as stable as an Intel build.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

3. HardTech

HardTech hungry

Probably latency.. I don't want to overclock and risk toasting my machine if it means an extra 5 fps that aren't noticeable anyway

I might still end up going Intel, I just wanted to weigh my options before buying parts.

4. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

You aren't going to destroy your computer by overclocking it. If you have it too high it will just be unstable and probably just reset itself alot. I found the top speed that I can run my computer at and its rock solid, but if I got 1mhz higher on the fsb it will just restart all the time. Its also been running like this for 3 years.

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

if I had the time or the patience to do water cooling, it'd be a very cool project to do.

But I'm not really into extreme modding anymore. I just want something that's quiet and works well. Yeah, I know water cooling systems are virtually silent, but the time required to do it right and the continual upkeep make it a not-so-viable solution for me

6. HardTech

HardTech hungry

like I said, I prefer something quiet that works. I'll probably end up going with the Antec Sonata II when I start buying stuff. I had the Sonata (sold it a while ago) and I was really happy with it

7. diranged

diranged New Member

AMD's Memory Controller is built into the CPU. There will be no DDR2 slots until AMD buidls a DDR2 Memory Controller that is inside of your CPU. For the forseable future, AMD will be using DDR memory.

Why? Because with the super low latency of the integrated memory controller, AND the fact that DDR2 memory right now is not fast enough in bandwidth to make up for much longer latencies, AMD still has better memory performance than Intel machines with the best DDR2 memory available.

Be happy -- buy cheap DDR 400 memory, and have the best performance available in a PC right now..

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

koolance cooling systems are a waste of money. :hsugh:

I can gaurantee computer is cooled better, and i didn't spend $700 or whatever you did.