WEB Are the server people at my job full of shit or is it just me?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Acoustyk, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Acoustyk

Acoustyk Jesus didn't save the dinosaurs lol

I'm working on a time reporting software project for my job. We are replacing a former application and therefore trying to make large improvements. The staple improvement is that the employee will be responsible for sending only one .xml/.zip time file per week. In the past they have been responsible for sending multiple reports per week. The problem is that we are building a new front end but the underlying systems are remaining unchanged. i.e. the database and the software interpreting the database. However, the "server people" have told us that they are unable to accept a zip file unzip it and send the contained files automatically via email with a script. I am a complete server noob but it would seem to me that this is an fairly simple thing to accomplish. Am I wrong?

2. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

some php code can accomplish this, id imagine.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

The technology is available but it really depends on the services they are supporting.

4. FullRetard

FullRetard New Member

It depends on the server environment but I'd imagine this is doable.

Yeah you could do it with php and a cron but the server guys are probably looking at it from an other than PHP server side script perspective.

My question is that if they are just going to send the contained files as an email attachment, why unzip it?

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I never liked kicking off scripts based on received emails ... That's probably the part they don't wanna do.