Are the people around you negative about working out?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DieselBoost410, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieselBoost410

DieselBoost410 New Member

I've been lifting for about 2 and half years now, and I can't help seem to notice most people who don't lift that I know are always giving me shit about lifting. They think its crazy all the supplements I take, and how I pretty much put working out ahead of most things.

Well, it wasn't until I started at my current job that I seemed to notice that people really dont want you to succeed. I can't help but notice all the landmonsters running to any and all free cake, and then talk about how its ruining their "diet". However, when I show up with my plate of fruit and water, I get haggled on how "skinny" I am or why not cheat a little bit.

Also lately, my fat ass 260 lb roommate has been going around talking in an arnold voice. It pisses me off but you know what, I don't let it get to me.

I just wanted to see if this was what you guys had to face. It pisses me off, I won't deny it, but I get revenge every day in my own way. I show up to work and home knowing I'm that much better (in aspects of the health) than those people, and it probably pisses them off.

2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Fuck everyone else. Let people hate all they want, you're the one busting your balls every day trying to improve yourself and deep down inside they know they don't have what it takes. It's just more motivation for me to work hard and outwork other people.

Jealous ass bitches.

3. ScubaMatt

ScubaMatt Guest

Everyone at school gives me crap about how I wont eat any of the junk food they offer me. They are all running to the snack machines to buy soda and candy bars.

I cant help but laugh and feel superior. They have any self-dicipline or control.

4. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

A lot of people stereotype people who work out as stupid muscle-heads.

It's pretty annoying but nothing I can't get over. I want to look good, damnit!

5. DieselBoost410

Damn right....I use all that aggravation to push myself even more.

Though I can't help but laugh and when I see a 400lb female damn near sprinting when there is an announcement for free food at work.

6. PNHWrestler

PNHWrestler A broken wrist can severely harm one's sex life!

Some assholes are like that, but the ppl at my school (pharmacy) respect a good diet and give me props for the discipline that I have.

7. terse

terse New Member

fortunately, the people around me respect my eating habits and are health conscious as well. (males and females)

8. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

9. SteveO

SteveO Guest

they've grown to get used to it, actually many of my friends and family are somewhat following behind me. Little things like not getting fried foods anymore, cutting back drinking, working out occasionally, etc.

10. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

:squint: e-toughguy :mamoru:

11. DieselBoost410

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    I'm going to print this and hang it here so I can read before leg day. I wish I could take it to work and hang it up, but I would probably be killed. So true though.

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

My parents, brothers and sister and my gf and her sister are very supportive of me.
    Everyone else... if they aren't, I rarely notice.

13. quickone

quickone New Member

my moms not

14. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

fvcking :werd:
    Friend: Here eat this (sweet tart shit) its good all I see is you eating healthy stuff all the time
    Me: No thanks
    Friend: It wont hurt you its only like 2 of them
    Me: :hsugh: No

I get shit for my diet almost everyday at school. but whatever its :highschool:

15. Dunken

Dunken Welcome to the team.

i used to get a lot of shit for it. i still do. i dont care cause all of my friends etc make fun of me as a whole, but when i talk to them one on one they are the ones asking how to get bigger.

7 kids who used to give me a really hard time about lifting are all now lifting as well. granted they dont know shit and are to prideful to ask for my help.

16. NormanNormal

NormanNormal Where it all ends I can't fathom, my friends...

I know exactly what you mean about how people dont want you to succeed.. here is a quote by a man I have a lot of respect for on the subject, Anthony Ellis:

"Let's face it; we live in a cruel world. Hate and jealously is everywhere. For most people who begin a fitness program to improve themselves, getting started will be half the battle. The other half will be staying motivated throughout the constant onslaught of negativity from others. A few negative words can do serious damage if you allow it.

The most insulting things you hear may be from friends, co-workers and acquaintances at the gym. People hate change. It makes them insecure, because they suddenly discover there's more to you than they were probably willing to admit. They fear that you may actually achieve your goal. It makes them look less "superior".

Once you have begun your plan, you must have faith and believe in what you are doing. Stay focused and avoid overly critical or negative people. If you have to, keep your business to yourself. When I first began my program, I stopped talking about what I was doing because I got tired of hearing things like "you can't do that", "that's impossible", "you're wasting your time and money". Funny thing is, now those people are constantly bugging me for advice.

It's your life. It's your body. It's your dream. Don't allow your success or failure to rest in the hands of others."

17. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

everyone gave me shit when i was mega skinny
    everyone gives me shit when im trying to bulk up
    everyone gives me shit for being a gym junkie now that im in better shape than them :dunno:

cant win , but in the end, i dont give a shit, its those people who lack the motivation to help themselves, and theyre just jealous of the hard work i've put in

18. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Every day during lunch: "Damn, another chicken?"
    "You are a chicken's worst enemy"

...but since it is dished out in a lighthearted and joking manner I usually fire back with some suitably snide comment.

19. Dunken

exactly what i said. it is so true.

20. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

:coold:

21. NickStam

NickStam Buy Low, Sell High

These annoying ladies i work with will go, "are you gonna have another slab of dried chicken?" Meanwhile, it's a very juicy rotisserie chicken from Stop n Shop. Meanwhile, they're eating hamburgers, fries, and other good stuff

22. deznutz

deznutz New Member

its all about me damnit! all about me!

23. Dunken

i have a large amount of respect for you.

24. DieselBoost410

I didn't think this thread would get this long, but awesome. It seems like alot of us do get some support, yet however we are constantly faced with some negativity at some point. In fact, I look forward to it because it gives me more confidence in taking it on and succeeding.

Story of this evening: My 230 pound(and about 40% bf) roommate who I tried to get working out yet who has gained 10 lbs in the process has been giving me shit. He keeps talking in an arnold voice and basically putting me down for being a gym rat. Well I proceded to ask him if he wanted to go to the gym tonite, to which he replied "he felt like being lazy". I proceded to say "The weights don't lift themselves chief....oh wait you only do cardio"

25. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I dont normally get shit from people, a joke here or there from my brother and people that I don't know don't talk to me becauseI am a bitter man and keep to myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.