GUN Are surefires really worth it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paintballny, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

I am contemplating purchasing an A2 Aviator from Surefire as it looks to be a very nice flashlight that would be useful in and out of the cockpit due to the led/incandescent light sources. Is it worth the ~150 though?

2. Accord

Accord New Member

I have a Surefire L2 and it's worth every penny.

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Build quality on Surefire is typically really good and their warranty service is typically excellent should you ever have a problem.

Why the emphasis? Their quality and customer service seems to be on a bit of a downslope.

A2 is somewhat of an anomoly not because of the LED/incandescent combination but because the incandescent lamp is regulated, meaning that it tends to maintain a consistent brightness level throughout the lifespan of the batteries.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I have an aviator and I'd say it depends on what you want it to do. Alot of people buy high priced tactical flashlights expecting them to blind attackers, light their hair on fire, and melt the paint off the car behind them. While they're bright, they are just flash lights....

It certainly doesn't cost $150 to make an aviator, but it does have a unique feature set, one that I was willing to pay a little extra to get. On low power it isn't all that bright and really best used for things immediately in front of you, on high its pretty powerful. Its regulated so you get a full 60 minutes of full power light on high, not a tapering off curve. I like having the red led's with an inc bulb. You'll have to decide if the feature set is worth it to you. It filled the role I wanted it to though and I don't regret buying mine.

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I don't have the Aviator, but IMO yes they are worth it. I have a E2e and it's the without the doubt the best light I have ever owned.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I had an A2, and it was the best light I've ever owned. For a fire/EMS role, it was perfect.

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I have a 6P whose lamp went dead abruptly back in the spring (it probably had 5 hours on it tops) and I completely forgot about it till a couple weeks ago so I emailed Surefire and they're sending me a new one :cool: In retrospect I wish I would have shelled out more for a model that is both smaller and used LEDs since I really just use my light for hunting but I just ordered a Petzl headlamp so that should be alright. I want the new Kroma but its fucking $300 :(

[​IMG]
    Max Output: Primary White: 50 lumens / Secondary Red: 6.3 lumens / Secondary Blue: 3.4 lumens
    Runtime: 1.5 hours / 8 hours / 8 hours
    Length: 5.50 Inches
    Weight: 4.90 Ounces
    Battery: Two 123A Lithium

kinda big though

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you NEED a flashlight, and need one that you don't have to worry about breaking, then yes, Surefires are worth the cash. If you just use flashlights for stuff, then you might look at Pentagon or Maglite or something a little less pricey.

9. footratfunkface

Shut up, Evan. Feed the addiction.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

They're not flashlights, they're illumination tools :run:

11. Accord

Accord New Member

The only thing I hate about Surefire's are the pocket clips, they absolutely suck. The clips are big and whatnot but they have NO tension at all and easily just slip right out of your pocket, unlike the clips on most knives like Benchmades which are extremely secure.

12. footratfunkface

Take the clip off, rebend it to have more tension, then put it back on. I wear pants made of thick material a lot, and it stretches the clip out. I have to do this about every 6 months or so.

13. Accord

Accord New Member

Great idea, thanks :cool:

14. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

I fly a lot and a good flashlight is a lifesaver (seriously) so I need a light that I can rely on no matter the conditions. The feature set is what drew me to the a2 but the brand reputation is what keeps me from looking elsewhere. Battery life seems kind of low though.

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I think their spotty customer service and overpriced product is a turnoff for me. I know the quality is there, and the model lineup is unparalleled, but I've been looking elsewhere and been very satisfied. Streamlight, Nuwai, and DigiLight all have proven to be better value and equally reliable as my SureFires.

Still, they make some damn good shit. One day, I'll have an A2.

16. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Here is a question... is Surefire the only company that makes a quality (shit hits the fan reliable) flashlight that can shine bright and can easily (no filters) shine red to preserve night vision?

17. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

No, the A2 is unique in that.

18. 7

The Kroma that i posted above has red and blue LEDs built in but its $300 :hsugh: I bought red and blue filters for mine and my brothers 6Ps but I lost the blue one; I wanted to see if blood showed up better with it or not:wtc:

19. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

$300? Fuck that! I swear... those crazy flashlight people confuse me. I can totally picture them sitting at home using flashlights instead of the lights in their house. $150 I can justify... sorta... but $300!? I'll pass.

20. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Well the Kroma is a specialy light. It's designed for hunters and they also have a military version. Also large than a A2, so that specializes it even more.

21. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I dont know if I want to invest that much into a flashlight just yet :o

22. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

i had a G2, 2 6P's

currently have a E2D, E1E thinking about getting either a E1L or a E2L this christmas.

i think they are well worth the money.

23. footratfunkface

It doesn't show up better. It stands out on light surfaces in blue light better than in white light. It shows up as black. So on a dark surface, it will not show up that well. A lot of people think that blue light on blood makes it glow like in CSI, but that is the effect of Luminol and UV light, not blue light. Even if you see the black spots on whatever background, you still need white light to identify the stuff as blood and not mud, chocolate syrup, or whatever. That's why an A2 with blue LED's is perfect IF you're following a blood trail on a light surface. For me, it helped me follow a trail of a meth addict who had punched his fist through a plate glass window. We followed the trail all the way to the edge of the driveway, then it disappeared in the yard. I was also able to find blood spatter on a guardrail from a guy who got hit by a Freightliner on the side of I-20. Unfortunately, every time I found evidence, it kept our ambulance on scene longer, because it extended the crime scene to include all the area around our truck.

24. 7

I think I remember you telling me this a while ago, must've forgot :mamoru: Gerber has a light designed for trailing called the Carnivore:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...=catalog&cm_ven=catalog&cm_ite=carnivorelight

25. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Yeah, what they said about the blood. I work at a store that sells surefires and i read that the blue filter makes blood show up better. So one day I accidently cut myself, and go the bright idea to test out that blue filter. What a waste of time that was.