are RE subs really that good?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by < DEV >, Jun 5, 2008.

1. < DEV >

< DEV > Red Rocket

I keep hearing how good they are. is it all true?
    I don't think the RE-xxx's are what I am looking for....what about the SE or the SR ?
    what about running a single SX v. 2x SR's ?

or am I just wasting time even considering this and just get one iDMax 12 D4 and call it a day?

(I am running a PG v8001 amp)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for a daily driver, I think the SE's are great subs for a good price.

3. vgeek

vgeek New Member

15" SX and call it a day? Going to save a ton if you get it used off a forum somewhere, their direct prices are ridiculous now, but they are excellent performers, an SX will get loud and still sound pretty good. Then again, what type of enclosure? Ported? Sealed? Makes a difference, loud vs quality?

4. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I'd get the IDMAX personally. I've had a SE SeXXX XXX MT/DD9515 hybrid and i was never extremely impressed by their overall sound and linearity, however they do get pretty loud... not a BAD choice by any means but for a daily driver sub that pounds and sounds great i'd rather get an IDMAX....

personally i just have two ID10v3 ported @28hz but im not into really loud stuff anymore

5. visitor

visitor Guest

its decent stuff.. have you considered maybe fi? or ssa? or personal favorite- mach 5.

6. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Depends on what you want. Before they were a great bang for buck sub. Now they are run by USamps and are on a dealer only network thus, you are going to pay an inflated price.

7. tjamz

tjamz New Member

But you are going to get local support, over the counter exchanges on warranty items, etc... Things you don't get online.

FWIW, a single SX12 in a slot-ported enclosure tuned @ 34 Hz w/ an MD.2D amp powering them in an XB put down 143.6 db at the headrest on a termlab meter in a recent MECA comp. Also, during the drive by SPL portion, he had an in cabin rolling average of 140dB w/ the windows down (meter again at headrest)....and the system still sounds decent in spite of the relatively high SPL marks it is putting up.

8. GammaRadiation

My point being, it went from great bang for buck to JL wannabe.

Granted long distance service is a little more annoying, but they would go out of their way to help you.

So, for the most part it is still a good product as far as I know. But all of the e-hype was when they were an e-company. :)

9. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Id recommend FI, simply because scott is at FI :)

10. < DEV >

< DEV > Red Rocket

thanks for all the input guys

11. tjamz

tjamz New Member

IMHO, the only "wannabe" aspect they have of JL is that they would like the name recognition. Other than that, they run all over JL in terms of SQ and/or SPL (depending on which model you are comparing) and at a lower price usually. We dropped JL and MTX (and our second store dropped Kicker) when we got RE. The competition can have those 3 lines for all I care. The tech support and quality of RE makes them well worth the money IMHO.

12. GammaRadiation

Tech support? USamps? You've got to be kidding me. If you arent a dealer they wont even talk to you. And not just from my experience, that is a recurring problem.

Better SQ? USamps today is not USamps of 15 years ago. But if you like noise and DC current going to your subwoofers, by all means purchase USamps.

They are slapping Korean boards in their amps and still charging hand built american prices...infalted hand built american prices on their truly hand built american products. If I am going to pay top dollar I can guarontee you I will be looking at something like Arc or McIntosh.

RE's SQ is no better than any other sub's SQ. SQ is largely installation and if you are basing 100% off the product, RE is not the place to start. A lot of linear movement, high inductance, and inefficency do not mean sound quality.

I also like my product to work right out of the box and I like it to keep on working for more than a couple months. Also, when I send it back to US amps to be fixed I like it when the amp comes back fixed, especially when I paid for the service. But maybe I just had bad luck. And maybe they did revamp the entire merlin line. But that doesnt seem to be the case considering someone else on the audio forum I frequient had his MD3D fail almost right out of the box.

13. tjamz

tjamz New Member

I dunno, maybe it is because I am a dealer, but I've yet to have a problem getting ahold of Greg in tech support...I've called him at home at 3am before w/ no problems.

Yes, I know this, but they are also not the same USAmps as 3 years either. I use them or Zapco for every install. Never had anyone complain about noise and haven't blown a sub due to this DC current you are speaking of.

Lots of manufacturers are using Korean boards. I didn't like it at first either, but I've had no issues with them. Nothing wrong w/ Arc or McIntosh.

Nor do they mean that they are not a sound quality sub. I can only speak from personal experience and that is that the W7 was the most problematic sub we pushed...blown VC, and horrid sounding (in both factory spec'ed enclosures and custom builds using LEAP.

We had one of the MD3D's fail out of box...and USAmps overnighted a replacement free of charge for me. Again, good customer service in my opinion.

14. GammaRadiation

Yep, you're a dealer. Greg stopped replying to my e-mails before the issue was resolved. When I posted feedback on their forum he got on and got all pissy about it.

Quality has gone down but relative price remains the same...yeah.

No, nothing wrong with korean boards. The amp I am using has a korean board. However, they are charging american prices for korean parts.

I didnt mention the W7. I am not a JL fan, nor a w7 fan.

Agian, a dealer. Me? I had to pay for shipping to them on a warranty fix and they UPS grounded it to me back. This was after they kept it for a couple weeks. I went 3 weeks with out an amp on a paid repair and got it back unfixed. Greg blamed it on my electrical system...it was a known internal grounding problem with the MD2D.

15. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

hey I have an RE SE 12", very unimpressed with it in a sealed box anyone ever listen to it in a sealed vs ported, i would like an opinion before i go out an build a new ported box

16. GammaRadiation

Ported vs Sealed is all about preference and ability. A well designed ported enclosure can sound just as good as a sealed box. However, in such an application, going ported is less for additional volume (though it will help for the majority of the frequency range) and more about low end extension.

17. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Slot Vented will make a huge improvement on it vs sealed for output...when done right it will sound as good as well.

[​IMG]

18. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

thanks guys , tjamz & CBFryman on the feedback, the sub is great in the sealed box when it comes to any music other than rap. At a certain volume it sounds like the sub is going to break it vibrates real bad, im guessing it the subs distortion?? I only have the problem with rap, you guys think the ported box will help this issue or no??

19. tjamz

tjamz New Member

My opinion...yes, it will help. Nearly all RE Subs are designed for ported enclosures first (according to the company)...some just happen to do ok in sealed as well.

20. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

*thought i'd throw an update in*

I finally.... broke in my RE SE 12, i decided to not go with the ported and left it in the sealed box. I believe thats the reason why it blew ass before (w/ rap music, and did ok w/ metal)..oh well the wait was definitely worth it and very pleased now (so far its handled every bass test w/ease that i've thrown at it) although im sure in the ported it would be more of a beast.

total break in time 3 months of regular listening and one month of loud as heavy metal (which i think is what broke it in)