SRS Are psychologists worth it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Skinny Pimp, May 26, 2007.

1. Skinny Pimp

Skinny Pimp OK

Im not a family oriented person. I have a lot of shit bottled up. My life has sucked since March. I used to pray ever day, now im findin reasons not to. i dont call my friends. i dont answer when they call me. i didnt care to hold my brothers new baby. i hate my life in general. i went to a club to release some stress and my credit card didnt work because that, along with 3 other bills are all 3 weeks late a piece. I gave myself every reason in the book to take my vehicle and use it as a weapon to kill myself with. But I figured, I didnt die when my SUV flipped on the drivers side and slid for 50 yards in March, I wont have any luck the 2nd time around. Ive had this list of shrinks and their numbers sitting next to my computer for a week but I cant bring myself to call them. And I refuse to talk to family or friends about my problems.

:wtc:

2. johan

johan Active Member

If your troubles are that severe, then your family and friends won't really be able to help you.

Are psychologists worth it? The "Worth" of something is up to you.
    All I can tell you is they can help you regain your life.

If that's what you want.

And if you do go, you need to choose a good one. I suggest starting with your family doctor and getting a referral from him/her. Being in the biz, word gets around fast who's good and who's not.
    Don't select a shrink from the yellow pages. Get a referral.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

My history is that MOST of the shrinks I have tried didn't work out with me.
    A shrink is a weird beast. There must be some connection between the two of you. You must be able to trust that the shrink understands you, has your best interest at heart, won't tell your secrets and is giving you better advice then what you can give yourself. The shrink must be able to to understand you, to sympathize with you and to NOT have his/her plate so full that he/she can't give you the time you need.

I mean, a normal doctor you don't have these problems. If you had a broken let and you went to a orthopedic that you hated, that had terrible morals, that was a total ass - the guy can still heal your leg like the best of them.

A shrink like that won't work out.

You could clearly use some help in that regard.
    I beg you. Keep your mind open that because the first or the third person you see are not working out it doesn't mean that there is no one out there for you.

I have a shrink that has helped to completly change my life around. I give him a ton of credit, in the same way an alcoholic has to accept that he is powerless to change himself (cause of the alcohol) I found myself in a place where I was powerless to change myself (cause of depression). I am now a different and happier person. I give that shrink a TON of credit.

But he wasn't my first one. I have probably had a dozen in my life before I met my current shrink. The only success I had before him was a voice therapist (as a kid) and a child phsycologist (as a kid) that helped me deal with arachnaphobia. As an adult I had no luck until I met this guy.

I will give you this piece of advice, this is what I used to find my doc. If you see someone and that person doesn't work out make a list of why you think that is the case. Don't be afraid to list things that may make you seem shallow. Use that list to try to find the next doc. Remember that you need someone you can connect with, that is hard to find.

Best of luck.

4. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

That came from deep down inside!

5. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Psychologists are definitely worth it, as long as you find one that you can connect with, be open with, who understands your problems, and actively works through them (by asking you questions, letting you talk, giving advice, etc.). Not only that, but you have to be willing to put forth the effort to follow through with any suggestions or tasks he/she gives you to help with your problems. Having a good psychologist is truly invaluable.

As Stilgar stated, it may take a few times to find the right one. I've had two very good psychologists as an adult and a few really bad ones. I found that I've had the best of luck with PhD's, so I would recommend the same.

You definitely need someone to talk to. I implore you to pick up the phone and set up an appointment ASAP.

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Making a list is a good idea. Think about what you expect from a psychologist and list them, it's not shallow, it's your right as a customer to get what you pay for and what heals is the relationship, not his degrees.

I underlined the "give advice" part because it showed how important it is to know what you want. Giving advice about how to deal with real life situation isn't really something that every psychologist are taught to do. Some schools of thought think that psychologists deal with the inner world of the client, not the outer world.

A good psychologist should ask you what you're expecting about him and from the sessions anyway.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

A psychologist is only as good as you are. You have to WORK your ass off to get better. Most people who trash psychologists weren't willing to do that. Nobody but you can heal you. A good psychologist just helps you identify what you have to do, and helps lead you through it. You're still the one doing the work. And it is HARD work. It is unpleasant work. It fucking sucks. But it works.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You should honestly look into some sort of therapist. I really think they're the only people that can help you other thn yourself.

9. johan

johan Active Member

Well sitting and stewing over something by yourself hasn't helped much so far...has it?

Although, some people can find their way out all by themselves. But it helps to have an experienced guide lead the way. YOU still do all the walking.

But at least you're not walking in circles.

Up to you. It's all up to you.