Are power buffers really worth it?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by shaitaan, Jun 20, 2004.

?

Is it worth buying a power buffer?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. shaitaan

shaitaan New Member

After reading a few threads from the search, I get a mixed consensus on the usefulness of using a power buffer to both apply/buff off the wax.

What do you think? is it worth buying one? whenever i wax the car, i can never seem to do it right :hs:

2. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

Well your question is kinda weird. Are you saying just for waxing and buffing? If so no, I was and remove all compounds and waxes by hand. But if you are polish or removing swirls a PC really is worth it. Even Scottwax now uses a buffer to aid with polishes, but still does by hand with wax.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

For waxing no, polishing yes. A cheapie buffer is not worth it though. Porter Cable makes a couple of really good ones, the 7424 and 7336. Pretty similar, the 7424 has a 5" counterweight and the 7336 has a 6" counterweight so it should transmit less vibration.

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

For applying a liquid wax you can use a buffer to get it on quickly but I always do it by hand. You don't have to spend that time cleaning a pad after you're done. For taking off the wax residue, then don't use a buffer at all. Do it by hand.

For compounding and polishing, then a buffer is 1000x better than having to work by hand. You need to buy quality though. Don't get one of those cheap buffers you see at pepboys for $20 that takes bonnets.

5. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I like the porter cable. For 90% of what we get, it takes care of it. Sometimes my boss pulls out the rotary, but only if it's absoluteley necessary. The porter cable is very versatile, and if you have the money to spend on it, and want to take the 15 minutes or so it takes to learn how to use it, you'll be very pleased with what you can do with it.