Are my harddrives going?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moloko, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Moloko

Moloko New Member

For about a year now, my computer has been a giant pial of dung. The system will freeze for a split second, varying from once a week, or once every 10 seconds for days at a time. Everytime it freezes the sound will make a feedback noise for a few minutes after, or just a *bump... click* and no sound. Speakers will randomly cut in and out. If I have the sound off, everytime the system freezes I hear a HD go "vrroooom....... click" and the system will not unfreeze until it stops making that noise. I've already tried to open my second drive and had it say "this drive is corrupt or the path is not correct". Its usually fixed with a scandisk. Like I said this is completely random. Sometimes it will work fine for days, then suddenly be completely unusable for days.

Here are the specs.

-Athlon 3200+ XP
    -ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD Motherboard
    -CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    -Dual Seagate Barracuda 80gig 1.5gb/s Sata drives
    -Soundblaster Audigy Platnum ZS sound card with the fancy drive in front.
    -Nvidia Geforce 4 I think 5200 video
    -ATI TV Tuner

Any idea? Im prepared to buy new drives, but I've already changed the mainboard and ram because they turned up bad, and the computer worked ok for a while, then it started doing this.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Check for spikes in PSU rails, any rails really. But I doubt that is the problem.

My GF's system does this as well, she's got 2 ATA drives rpetty old. One "vroom...clicks" and sometimes it will freeze the system. Upon reboot it makes nasty noises, but if you shut it off, wait a few secs, it boots and runs without any problems. Completely random. Could be a malfunctioning head, needs replacing.

3. Moloko

Moloko New Member

OK, I ran Prime 95. It returned 0 errors and 0 warnings in 9 hours and 33 minutes. What does that tell me, that my processor and mem are ok?

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Pretty much, prime95 is a stability tester, your HDD's aren't going to be stressed by it. Most people use prime to test RAM.

does a chkdsk/scandisk return any errors when you run it? i know on my GF's it did, but then "fixed" them, only to freeze 5 minutes later with a HDD related BSOD. when my WD 80GB went out, it couldn't even complete a chkdsk, would always freeze my PC.

5. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

sounds like you have some bad sectors, although having your RAM and mother board crap out on you makes me think something is causing all these problems...