Are Mini Cooper S' reliable?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bloody Sunday, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

I'm looking for a used one, are they reliable? any common problems? easy/expensive to maintain? Anything to look out for?

thanks, guys

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

More reliable than other BMW's; but, there are much more "reliable" cars out there. Also, are you looking to drive this thing to 200,000 miles, or 120,000 - because that also makes a difference.

3. nainline6ftw

nainline6ftw Winter is coming

I've heard that the turbo ones are extremely unreliable.

4. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

There are no turbos but the S is supercharged and really annoying to drive. When you're on the gas you actually feel the supercharger clutch kick on and off. It is beyond annoying having it come on when youre on the gas and then CLUNK off when you let off. I would get a normal mini and not the S.

5. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

the newer model S' have turbos

6. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

My mom has a 06 S drop top with a Auto. She had a bunch of little warrenty issues. for the money and reilablity and you still want somthing euro look at the VW GTI I would try to find a TSI motor instead of the FSI.

7. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

I have an 03 Cooper S. No problems, aside from the standard recalls they did in 04. Since then, I've changed my own oil, and brought it in for regular service. I have 60k on the odo. No extraneous problems save for wear and tear on tires and fluid changes! I would recommend a late 03 or 04 if you want the supercharger. They fixed all the problems of the first 2002 model. As well, those models (03,04) have a better block, if you want to supercharge more or add more induction.

Also, superchargers don't have clutch. They're directly connected to the engine, so they spin at a percentage of the engine RPM. Maybe you're talking about the turbo boost on the newer turbo model?

8. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

Also, check northamericanmotoring.com for more information about the different model years, and the reliability between each.

From a post there:
    And:
    Motoring File MINI Buyers Guide
    http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

the cooper s with the super charger is. I know next to nothing about the new turbo cooper s.

10. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Shitballs expensive maintenance. A buddy of mine has one and the shop wanted over $800 to change an alternator parts & labor. We did it ourselves (PITA thanks to poor engine compartment design) but the alt still cost him over $400 new. I can get a 300a HO alt for my truck for that much money.

Other than that he hasn't had many troubles. I dont know how many miles it has on it, either.