Are Maximas Modable?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ronin, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I was just wondering if there is any decent aftermarket for a 4th generation maxima (95-99)

im not looking to rice it or anything, I just want some get up go, like say 14s. If this generation can be modified how much would it take? What can actually be done? If nothing than that's fine, I dont need to make it fast, it'd just be a little extra I'm looking for.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

turbo?

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i would invest in a turbo but im not sure my budget would allow, i am aware of the fact getting a quick import will pretty much require a major power adder such as a turbo but like i said, i'm not sure id have the budget.

would the benefits of turboizing a maxima be worth the money?

what kind of power gains would be expected and what would costs be?

it all depends on my income over the next year which might actually be able to fit a turbo upgrade.

the primary reason i am considering adding power to a maxima is the fact i prefer sedans and more "lux" rides as opposed to crap wagons like 240s and civics, and have a potentially fast one would just be all the more fun.

So if anyone can provide some information about turbocharging a maxima that would be great.

EDIT: I just read a turbo set up plus installation would probably run about 4 G's.

Also, how would something like a turbo upgrade affect reselling? (not sure I would exactly resell it but if I did it would be a long ways down the road)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2005
  4. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

I think for a 95-99 Max, depending on how long you keep it, resale isnt really going to be good anyway (because of age) . If you decide to turbo, Id keep it for a while and sell it as a beater, way down the road. The other thing id look at when turbo'ing any car, is wear on the motor. If you pick up a 96 with 125K on the clock, just slapping on a turbo isnt such a great idea. You def. want to get a car with the lowest mileage humanly possible. Then again thats kind of a given, too. But of course a rebuild could help a higher mileage motor stand up to extra punishment. (but that'd also be a considerable extra cost.). Depending on cost, factor in the 300zx TT in your search (I know you prefer sedans) but its worth a shot since many of the TT versions came loaded with luxo options.

P.S. From personal opnion, I wouldnt call all 240's crap wagons (Civics....okay, take that one.) Some of the 97-98 ones can be quite comfortable. Oh yeah, and be careful slinging around a term like "quick import" it means a lot of diffrent things to diffrent people.

5. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

Another note: When it comes to an aftermarket turbo setup, always buget a significant amount more, say 6.5K instead of 4K , cause accidents always happen, and tuning can be the most important part, and its frequently one people like to skimp on.

6. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

7. N D S

N D S you're like salsa, thick and chunky

intake y-pipe and exhaust would take you into high 14s

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ive been to stillen, the overboost store, a couple of chip seller sites. My main concern was whether or not a maxima is worth modding and its potential.

@Spiffy:

I wouldnt pick up a maxima unless it was under 100k. It would probably be in the 80-90k ish range.

I also plan on keeping this car until it basically explodes and theres no life left in it other than to sell it to a salvage yard. Or I crash and burn, nearly kill myself, and total the car. Whatever happens first.

Hmm 6.5k for a turbo set up, according to some guy on maxima.org who is experienced with installs he says 2k in parts going used and about 3 going new parts, (he was referring to buying everything seperately and getting good deals and constrcuting a home made kit) he also wagered in another grand for installation and such.

What kind of power gains would such a set up give and what kind of times would I be expecting?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2005
  9. pokpok

pokpok New Member

no need...

they are god's chariot...

10. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I've built 2 turbo Maximas. They don't come cheaply but they make good power gains under boost b/c of their relatively large displacement and very tough motors.

Stick w/ the S/C if you've never fabricated anything before. $2,500 for a decent used one and you'll make plenty of hp.

First project here:
    [​IMG]
    This one took well over 3k just in parts b/c pretty much everything had to be top shelf. It made a bit over 250whp at 5psi w/ the 5spd. It was a show car so he never pushed it beyond 7psi. It ended up around ~4k in parts, and stuff we had to have other shops take care for us. It also doesn't include some of the extras like having all the pipes chromed later or his 3" exhaust.

Here's the 2nd one. This one was for my brother's '97 GXE Auto.
    [​IMG]
    Bigger turbo (60-1) but most everything else came off Ebay or Honda-Tech classifieds. Parts were in the $2300 range for the initial build but he's easily doubled that in injectors, exhaust, electronics, and hours of dyno time. It made 302whp/314ft-lb torque at 7psi w/a 3"/no cat exhaust. Took a whole different routing than the 1st one b/c the much larger auto transmission. It was running a [email protected] w/ 9 second 1/8 mile and 2.4 second 60' times so it was all top end pull once it got off the line.

Is it worth it? Monetarily it doesn't really make sense but having something different from the standard fare has its value. Guys have made over 500whp on stock motors and they're cheap to replace at $200-$800 depending on the mileage. My brother has poured thousands into this car but it's his baby he's had since it had 4 miles on the clock.

We just lost a cylinder on my brother's car but that was turbocharged for over a year and a half and we ran the crap out of it everytime we drove it. It did over a dozen 13 second track runs and dozens more dyno runs before it started losing compression. This same motor endured ~20k supercharged at 9 psi by a completely incompetent shop that did the install and forgot to hook up the aux fuel pump.

11. sour.monkey

sour.monkey so good OT Supporter

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i think im just going to do some basic modding(chip, intake, etc) and some suspension stuff, and wheels and tires and detail it in and out with a system.

I think if I want to go higher performance sedan I'll just wind up with an M3/M5 or a WRX.

If i was going raw performance I'd do something easy like a fox mustang. High 13s with all of that invested doesnt sound very appealing to me.

13. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Well, it's a show car so presentation was considered more important than outright performance. It's more than capable of 12's w/ a bit more boost and some better tires. We did all those runs in two trips to the track...both without a boost controller to hold the full 7psi so it was only hitting 5psi in 1st and 2nd. It was also running 215/35 tires on 19" wheels that weigh over 30lb a piece. That and its got a stock automatic which will run a high 15 at best normally. I lost in the 1/8th to a N/A 5spd Maxima on one run. Yet I pulled 1.5 seconds on him in the top half.

Fastest Max out there is running 11.5 in the mid 120's on a stock motor. Highest hp was 530 and a bit over 600ft-lb torque w/ nitrous on another one. No one's run a built motor one yet but the guy w/ the 11.5 is about to swap for a built 3.5L so 10's are definitely possible.

As for money invested...the same day I got it to hit 300 whp on the dyno, I saw a supercharged IS300 dyno 282whp w/ over 10k invested in just the engine (GTE bottom end, Haltech standalone). He eventually got it over 400whp but that took a bigger blower and even more money. A Stillen supercharged 350Z only mustered 288whp on the stock pulley w/ that $4500 kit. They were so pissed they ripped the kit off the next day and went w/ a Greddy turbo kit which is over 6k.

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

works for me, thanks for the info and that fits my budget perfectly.

thanks everyone for the help, its uhh, helpful :)

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i decided to just make another post in here than rather start a new thread.

about how many miles could I run with a Maxima for with routine maintenence?

Then after it starts htting risky business lets say i replace the trans and rebuild the engine, how much would that extend the life?

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the maxima uses the VQ block, which was awarded "10 best engines" for 11 years in a row (Wards)... the Nissan VQ is the only engine to do this... ever. I'd say you can expect it to last quite some time if you take care of it. By the time you need a rebuild, it'll likely be better to simply trade in for something new.

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

well thats good to hear :)

18. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

4th gens are quite moddable. The VQ is a great engine to work with. It runs well, last a long time, and responds well to boost. The fastest Maxima to date is a 4th gen boosting 16 psi and runs 11s in the quarter mile. Check out my 4th gen sometime: http://www.cardomain.com/id/tht1996

19. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

My Maxima runs 14's stock :o

20. willisJ

willisJ what u talkin bout?

www.maxima.org

they're very moddable, turbo's are becoming easier to do, but not common yet. pretty fast, fun cars.

21. willisJ

willisJ what u talkin bout?

you built sadlers' and what looks like shadows' cars?

22. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Their turbos setups yes. This is shadow's brother.

23. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I miss Sadler's car. It was gorgeous.

24. Ronin

Ronin Guest

what kind of engines will swap in and out of the maxima?

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

none drop in/out except the same VQ (not much of a swap)