Are mac mini's a waste of money

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pineapple Devil, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

specifically the 799 one. are they pretty good machines? other than the shared video memory it looks like decent performance out of a small machine.

im thinking of buying another mac this fall and i know its a jump but either a mac mini or a mac pro

2. HardTech

HardTech hungry

do you need performance? do you rely on your computer to make money?

if yes, mac pro
    if no, mac mini

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think the iMac is a good compromise.

4. ady

ady New Member

They're fine computers. Sure they aren't offering the best performance, nor are they the cheapest way to get the power and features (except size) they have, but they are still useful and versatile.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

it's pretty much a small version of a macbook, minus the keyboard and display

i really like them and i really want one, but i can't justify the cost, considering that a refurb macbook can occasionally be had for $999

i would love to have one for a htpc, but i could build a shuttle pc for much less and it would be able to handle HD video

i wish they would make something in between the mac mini and the mac pro. i know thats where the imac is, but it can't be expanded like a mac pro can and i don't need a display

6. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

They still should have upgraded it to the Santa Rosa chipset for better graphics and support for more RAM. It was a pitiful update to a system long overdue for one. :hsd:

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i'm planning on picking up the $600 one...
    the $800 one i think is too expensive for what it is...

8. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

They would be good for people like my mom who just needs computers for checking e-mails and surfing the net. :dunno:

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

and thats what i need. i already have a monitor. i'd like to see a mac pro cube

10. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

I already have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and a monitor that I use with my 12" Powerbook now. I'm thinking about buying a Mini and just using my Powerbook for mail and calendar stuff since I travel since I love the 12".

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

FWIW, the mini has more than enough horsepower to handle HD video encoding / transcoding, it just lacks any video input capability like you would get with a PCI card in a shuttle. The mini and an elgato device isn't a bad DVR at all though, in my opinion. At the moment I'm actually torn between a DIY myth HTPC and a Mini + elgato stuff.

12. dorkultra

but it will choke and die if you attempt to play a .MKV file, just like my macbook does. vlc will give an error that computer is too slow or something like that

curiously enough, it can play 720p and 1080p .wmv files very well...

13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I've only dabbled in HD media, but if it's playing 1080p wmv fine then it's not a disk / bandwidth issue, it's probably VLC. I think Perian supports .mkv now, have you given it a try?

14. dorkultra

tried perian, seems to work a little better than vlc...however if there is any action on the screen, the picture hesitates for a couple of seconds, very annoying. i tried children of men, it could barely handle it. howard the duck, it stopped about every 3 seconds. the goonies, it could play ok, if i had it set to show half size video, but it still hesitated with motion

15. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I just bought a Mini. I do have a few questions about it though. I currently have 1GB of RAM installed in it. I know it has the integrated graphics that uses system RAM for video, but I was wondering if it has a set amoount it can use, or if the amount of RAM available for graphics is dependent on the amount installed?? In other words, if I were to max it out, would it give me a noticeable increase in video performance?? I have the 1.83 core duo, and I'm using it for a HT computer. So basically, it's gonna be used as our DVD player, movie player, and surfing the net from the comfort of the couch. Should it serve me well for this? And does anyone have a different program other than the included DVD player that maybe gives better quality??

Also, for anyone thinking about buying one for HT duty, don't use the DVI to S-video adapter, looks like poo. Unfortunately, my tv is still a CRT, so I'm stuck for a few more months until we get a 50" 1080P LCD. Then I'll be going DVI to HDMI.

16. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

The Apple DVD player is fine, plus it works with the Apple remote.

I used my Mini for a while as a HTPC and it worked well, but I am in the same boat as you with the CRT-based HDTV, looked like pewp. As far as the video memory, it's capped at 64MB in OSX.